Help finish my friend's build

RichterFry

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: early January, perhaps later

Budget Range: $300-$350

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, recording music

Parts Not Required: Case, Power supply (he has a very strong power supply, not sure what it is, but I'm quite certin it's a solid brand), HDD, Graphics card dvd drive, keyboard, monitor, mouse (not sure about the os)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg preferred, but Canadadirect is good too

Parts Preferences:meh

Overclocking: Probably not

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: less than 1080p, I think

Additional Comments: Helping my friend finish building a computer. He's buying my GTX 560 (non ti version), and a 1tb HDD from me as well. He wants to sped about $500, so I think I wouldn't go any lower than $150 for those 2 items, but I'd prefer more, obviously. So that's $350-$300, including taxes and shipping to Nova Scotia (south eastern coast of Canada).

Chances are, he'll go for an AMD processor. Now, I'm not too familiar with recording music, but would a six core processor perfor muchbetter than a 4 core for that? I know the frequency is important for gaming, ut I'm not sure which one will outweight the other. RAM, not a big deal, 4 or 8 gigs of watever, the Mobo doesn't have to be fancy, but I'm sure UEFI would be a plus.

The OS is important, if it is a 32 bit OS then they can't have more than 4 GBs of RAM. If it is a 64 bit OS then my rule of thumb is to go with 2x 4GBs (8 GB Total). It is only a couple bucks difference, but all RAM is not equal. You have to look at the QVLs and see what RAM works with what board and you have to research 2x2 separately than 2x4.

If all the person needs is a core (Motherboard, Processor, RAM), then 300 - 350 is a pretty decent budget.

You could go with something like this:

Intel 2500k $237

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

GIGABYTE GA-H61M-DS2 LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - $66

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128527

CT2KIT51264BD1339 2x 4GBs 1333 1.35v - $46

That is all assuming a 64 bit OS, obviously.

The total would come out to almost exactly $350 and it would be a good solid setup.