Sign in with
Your question

Wanting to upgrade system for faster loading times-WOW

Last response: in Systems
December 18, 2011 12:42:58 AM

I have played WOW for about many years now and I built my current computer with the help of a friend who was tech savy more than I. I have been experiencing slow loading screen times and some lag once loaded into instances or the game. But once in WOW my fps and everything runs great 40 man-25man no lag or anything. Here are the specs to my computer I am looking to speed up my loading screen times when I log in or load into instances in the game. Don't really have a budget per say but just looking for ideas that are reasonable besides rebuilding a new computer.

Cons-
1-Boot up time after I log into my computer takes a while before I can open up the internet, Ventrilo or WOW. Wil get WOW not responding sometimes when I first open it before I can log in.
2- LOading screens for WOW when I load into instances.

I was thinking that maybe I could buy a new SSD and buy Windows 7-64bit and just run WOW on that and use my older HD for the rest of my things for faster load times?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-Josh

OS- Vista 64bit
PS-750W
MB-Chipset- P35/G33/G31
MB is a Gigabyte Technology board
RAM- 8g Dominator
Processor- I2 core duo 2.66 processor
Video- Ati hd 3800 radeon .
HD- 250g I believe

a b B Homebuilt system
December 18, 2011 12:57:20 AM

Sounds like you need a SSD to boot windows and WoW off of for quick loading times I would advise go with the M4 Crucial, but then I would also advise a new computer completely
m
l
December 18, 2011 2:09:39 AM

Emelth said:
Sounds like you need a SSD to boot windows and WoW off of for quick loading times I would advise go with the M4 Crucial, but then I would also advise a new computer completely

I would love to build a new computer but with as my computer works as is, I would just like to speed it up. I did some research on the Crucial 128g ssd. they have impressive reviews and it looks as though I will be going this root. Now I just need to research how to swap this stuff over with using a new OS but getting rid of my old one but still keeping the stuff on that HD relevant and available to access.
m
l
Related resources
December 18, 2011 8:22:37 PM

My HD is a WD3200AAJS- 320g with 75g free. IS there any way to speed it up or get rid of any unwanted programs that are just idle but using my processes?
m
l
December 18, 2011 11:30:30 PM

Yes

a crucial m4 SSD is the best one out there in terms of reliability

just remember to run it in AHCI mode if you can,
and download the latest firmware for it

m
l
!