Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

What gpu should i go for?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 21, 2011 2:54:48 AM

I just built my first computer, and the last item on my list is a gpu. unfortunately i have no idea which one to get. i need one with high end gaming capabilities but i'm only looking to spend between 200 and 400 dollars. :p 
My build:
mobo- Asus p8z68-m pro
ram- Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 4x4GB
cpu- intel i7 2600k
cpu cooler- stock right now but will be getting a Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B after i buy the gpu
OS- Win 7 64 enterprise
Case- Antec nine hundred two V3
psu- Antec 480w, but I will shortly be swapping it out for my coolermaster 550w

More about : gpu

a c 109 U Graphics card
October 21, 2011 3:29:23 AM

570 or a 6970? Maybe a dual card setup like a 6950 cf or a 560ti sli
October 21, 2011 3:35:09 AM

amuffin said:
570 or a 6970? Maybe a dual card setup like a 6950 cf or a 560ti sli


How would the performance compare between the one higher end vs. using two lesser models?
Related resources
a c 376 U Graphics card
October 21, 2011 3:44:00 AM

A 480w by Antec is very likely to actually be better than a 550w by Coolermaster. If provide the actual models then I can tell you for sure. We need that info anyway to suggest a card. Also tell us the native resolution of your monitor.
October 21, 2011 3:49:40 AM

jyjjy said:
A 480w by Antec is very likely to actually be better than a 550w by Coolermaster. If provide the actual models then I can tell you for sure. We need that info anyway to suggest a card. Also tell us the native resolution of your monitor.


The Antec one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The Coolermaster one
http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=2550

Right now i'm using a 720p tv for the monitor (with the onboard graphics set) and i'm running 1280x720.

Best solution

a c 376 U Graphics card
October 21, 2011 4:04:02 AM
Share

The Coolermaster PSU in this case is slightly better as it is one of their better units while the Antec you linked is quite old.
720p is fairly low resolution. If it is what you plan on using then you don't need to spend anywhere near the budget you mentioned for the card. An HD6770 for $110 would be very good for that resolution.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
The most you should consider is an HD6850 or GTX 460. Overkill really but they will perform decently if you upgrade your monitor to 1080p while the HD6770 would struggle a bit. This is a very nice card at a good price;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
For anything much better you would need a new power supply anyway as even the 550w only has 432w on the +12v rails.
October 21, 2011 4:13:18 AM

jyjjy said:
The Coolermaster PSU in this case is slightly better as it is one of their better units while the Antec you linked is quite old.
720p is fairly low resolution. If it is what you plan on using then you don't need to spend anywhere near the budget you mentioned for the card. An HD6770 for $110 would be very good for that resolution.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
The most you should consider is an HD6850 or GTX 460. Overkill really but they will perform decently if you upgrade your monitor to 1080p while the HD6770 would struggle a bit. This is a very nice card at a good price;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
For anything much better you would need a new power supply anyway as even the 550w only has 432w on the +12v rails.


yeah, i was planning on investing in a monitor once i got my system all taken care of lol :)  but thank you, very good answer.
October 21, 2011 4:13:23 AM

Best answer selected by Crispyman01.
a c 271 U Graphics card
October 21, 2011 10:21:49 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!