Looks the PSP is hacked for real now

check out http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000713042341/

I quote:

Another step forward in the race to crack open the PSP: ps2nfo.com user
Paradox worked out how to get a dump from a UMD disc, and has released
the ISO files for several PSP games (Wipeout: Pure US, Ridge Racers
Japanese, and Vampire Chronicles: The Chaos Tower Japanese). Also of
note, UMD discs use the standard ISO9669 format, so the released ISOs
can be burned to regular CDs or DVDs. Know that the games are not yet
playable in this format, but it's a big step forward now that all the
reverse engineers out there can get their hands on this stuff.

Smoke
15 answers Last reply
More about looks hacked real

    "Smoke" <SmokeThaSpliff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > check out http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000713042341/
    >
    > I quote:
    >
    > Another step forward in the race to crack open the PSP: ps2nfo.com user
    > Paradox worked out how to get a dump from a UMD disc, and has released
    > the ISO files for several PSP games (Wipeout: Pure US, Ridge Racers
    > Japanese, and Vampire Chronicles: The Chaos Tower Japanese). Also of
    > note, UMD discs use the standard ISO9669 format, so the released ISOs
    > can be burned to regular CDs or DVDs. Know that the games are not yet
    > playable in this format, but it's a big step forward now that all the
    > reverse engineers out there can get their hands on this stuff.
    >
    > Smoke

    It was just a matter of time. No system will ever be hacker-proof. All
    they can do is make it as difficult as possible, and prosecute whenever
    necessary, so that the vast majority of people will continue to buy retail
    games instead of pirated copies.

    Frankly, I don't care about dumping UMD disks as much as I am interested in
    getting emulators to run off of the memory stick duos. MAME on PSP, or even
    an NES and Atari 2600 emulator, would be sweet!

    "Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message

    > Frankly, I don't care about dumping UMD disks as much as I am interested
    > in
    > getting emulators to run off of the memory stick duos. MAME on PSP, or
    > even
    > an NES and Atari 2600 emulator, would be sweet!

    What? You just got done jumping down someone else's throat for piracy and
    then turn around and pine for it? The hypocrisy is staggering, honestly.

    "Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
    > "Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message
    >
    > > Frankly, I don't care about dumping UMD disks as much as I am interested
    > > in
    > > getting emulators to run off of the memory stick duos. MAME on PSP, or
    > > even
    > > an NES and Atari 2600 emulator, would be sweet!
    >
    > What? You just got done jumping down someone else's throat for piracy and
    > then turn around and pine for it? The hypocrisy is staggering, honestly.

    Oh? So you are finally admitting that the prior thread was about piracy? I
    thought you claimed it was about using Nero to scan used games for errors so
    that you could return them. R-i-i-i-g-h-t...

    An emulator does not equal piracy, especially since I own the ROMs. There's
    a difference between illegally copying Xbox/PS2 games and my hoping to run
    an emulator program on the PSP.

    Android wrote:

    > "Smoke" <SmokeThaSpliff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > check out http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000713042341/
    > >
    > > I quote:
    > >
    > > Another step forward in the race to crack open the PSP: ps2nfo.com user
    > > Paradox worked out how to get a dump from a UMD disc, and has released
    > > the ISO files for several PSP games (Wipeout: Pure US, Ridge Racers
    > > Japanese, and Vampire Chronicles: The Chaos Tower Japanese). Also of
    > > note, UMD discs use the standard ISO9669 format, so the released ISOs
    > > can be burned to regular CDs or DVDs. Know that the games are not yet
    > > playable in this format, but it's a big step forward now that all the
    > > reverse engineers out there can get their hands on this stuff.
    > >
    > > Smoke
    >
    > It was just a matter of time. No system will ever be hacker-proof. All
    > they can do is make it as difficult as possible, and prosecute whenever
    > necessary, so that the vast majority of people will continue to buy retail
    > games instead of pirated copies.
    >
    > Frankly, I don't care about dumping UMD disks as much as I am interested in
    > getting emulators to run off of the memory stick duos. MAME on PSP, or even
    > an NES and Atari 2600 emulator, would be sweet!

    There's a bucket full of emulators on the Ngage. It would be nice on the
    PSP too of course, but until then the NGage makes for a a great
    NES/Genesis/SMS/GG/limited MAME emulator for $50 used plus a $20 memory
    card ($40 for one that can hold a half dozen .3GP movies that you can
    watch on the go).

    Not really. The group points out that all they have been able to do is
    use an exploit to pull the files off the UMD over to a PC. Maybe the
    ISO can be burned on to a regular CD or DVD but what good does that do
    you, any more than having the files on your PC hard drive? You have to
    be able to get it into a form that will run from the memory stick. In
    other somewhat related news, there is an Elf to PBP converter:

    "This tool takes an elf file compiled for psp and "converts" it into a
    PBP file.
    You can then copy this pbp file to a subdir in "PSP/GAME" on your
    memcard (eg to "PSP/GAME/APP1/EBOOT.PBP"). This tool has been designed
    so that you could run it at the end of your makefile, you could even
    set your makefile to then copy the pbp to your psp after making
    it(assuming you first set your psp to usb mode)."

    But, this is only supposed to work with a Japanese firmware 1.00 PSP.
    There was a slip up that firmware 1.00 allowed unsigned code to run
    from the memory stick. The 1.5 firmware fixed that and now requires
    signed code to run from the memory stick and that is where the big
    stopper is. The AES encryption for the signed code is leading to the
    conclusion it will take mod hardware to overcome.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Get Cheat Codes For All of Your Games at www.gamesnitch.g2gm.com We Have
    Cheats For PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, And PC. We Also Have Cheats For Older
    Consoles Such As Sega and Dreamcast. Visit us Today And Get A Chance To Win
    $50,000 By Joining Our Mailing list. Come To www.gamesnitch.g2gm.com.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    >> What Arcade games do you own, Mr. Mame? You're a joke.
    >
    > You're doing the same thing you accuse me of--jumping down MY throat and
    > accusing me of piracy because you think there is a chance I don't own any
    > ROMs...even though you have no idea if that is true or not.

    D'oh.

    > Not that it isany of your business, but I do own a handful of coin-op
    > games.
    > Those games, along with public domain coin-op ROMs,

    And those, honestly, are the only one's you're planning on playing with
    MAME?

    > The only joke is how you're now just looking for any excuse to argue with
    > me.

    That's rediculous. This is all valid.

    > Got tired of taking heat for bashing the PSP, have you?

    I don't bash the PSP. Perhaps you're thinking of someone else.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Fred Liken wrote:
    > "Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > There's no need for you to defend him against fred. Anyone who's
    been
    > > here for awhile should have figured out who the joke is around
    here...

    > That'd be you, you whiner.

    IAWTP, as Jacobs is certainly a joke.

    But Fred, you have to realize there is a huge difference between
    modding your Xbox to play MAME than there is when modding it to play
    *existing retail games that are still for sale.*

    Only one of those examples hurts the industry.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

    >> > There's no need for you to defend him against fred. Anyone who's
    > been
    >> > here for awhile should have figured out who the joke is around
    > here...

    >> That'd be you, you whiner.

    > IAWTP, as Jacobs is certainly a joke.
    >
    > But Fred, you have to realize there is a huge difference between
    > modding your Xbox to play MAME than there is when modding it to play
    > *existing retail games that are still for sale.*

    Sure, I realize that and I agree. My only issue with A. is that he jumped
    down someone's throat for asking about something not related to piracy
    claiming they were a pirate and insulting them. Then he turns around and
    wants MAME on the PSP, etc. The thing is, MAME can actually be used for
    piracy, where as a scan disk can't. He was just being a random jerk to
    people.

    > Only one of those examples hurts the industry.

    I wouldn't say that, actually. Look at the "all-in-one" joystick games that
    hook right into the TV, or the various classic compilations of old games.
    Those are hurt by piracy of old systems and arcade PCBs. Of course, people
    might say that they don't care because it is a different kind of game or
    that they wouldn't buy them anyways, etc, but it's all the same excuses for
    piracy that the current gen pirates use.

    Personally, I really don't care about MAME or even people downloading ROMs
    for MAME. I also don't jump down people's throat for wanting to know if a
    scan disk can tell them if a game is too damaged to be read by the PS2.
    Doug isn't bright enough to grasp the need for it, though.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    On Thu, 5 May 2005 08:47:38 -0700, "Android"
    <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote:

    >It was just a matter of time. No system will ever be hacker-proof.

    Never say never. Someday someone will figure it out. Maybe even soon.
    XBox2 has all encyption taking place within the CPU, so it never goes
    over the wires (which was how the XBox was cracked). They are claiming
    it will not be cracked in the life of the console. Bold claim, we'll
    see. ;-)
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > I don't bash the PSP. Perhaps you're thinking of someone else.

    You are a classic.

  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Brenden D. Chase <brenden.chase@gmail.com> wrote:

    > Actually he's a writer for a magazine. And produces some good work for
    > strategy guides. And has quite a collection of games in his home
    > office. Which includes but is not limited to an actual arcade machine.
    > I've seen the pictures. He's no joke.

    There's no need for you to defend him against fred. Anyone who's been
    here for awhile should have figured out who the joke is around here...
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message

    > There's no need for you to defend him against fred. Anyone who's been
    > here for awhile should have figured out who the joke is around here...

    That'd be you, you whiner.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Joe62 <jmcginnNOSPAM@radicalreallynospam.ca> wrote:

    > Never say never. Someday someone will figure it out. Maybe even soon.
    > XBox2 has all encyption taking place within the CPU, so it never goes
    > over the wires (which was how the XBox was cracked). They are claiming
    > it will not be cracked in the life of the console. Bold claim, we'll
    > see. ;-)

    A totally hackerproof system would require you to create a hermetically
    sealed console (with the games already inside!) along with a device that
    would utterly destroy the contents if you did somehow manage to crack it
    open. The the controllers will need to encrypt their signals before
    sending them to the console, which will decrypt them. The console will
    encrypt the video and audio signals that will only be decrypted, before
    displaying/playing, by the monitor and speakers. For added security, the
    cable connections should be irreversibly super-glued, to prevent people
    from disconnecting the devices. The console would be "stand-alone" - that
    is, no form of networking or internet would be provided.

    Anything less than that, and it's going to get hacked. I guarantee it.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > Joe62 <jmcginnNOSPAM@radicalreallynospam.ca> wrote:
    >
    >> Never say never. Someday someone will figure it out. Maybe even soon.
    >> XBox2 has all encyption taking place within the CPU, so it never goes
    >> over the wires (which was how the XBox was cracked). They are claiming
    >> it will not be cracked in the life of the console. Bold claim, we'll
    >> see. ;-)
    >
    > A totally hackerproof system would require you to create a hermetically
    > sealed console (with the games already inside!) along with a device that
    > would utterly destroy the contents if you did somehow manage to crack it
    > open. The the controllers will need to encrypt their signals before
    > sending them to the console, which will decrypt them. The console will
    > encrypt the video and audio signals that will only be decrypted, before
    > displaying/playing, by the monitor and speakers. For added security, the
    > cable connections should be irreversibly super-glued, to prevent people
    > from disconnecting the devices. The console would be "stand-alone" - that
    > is, no form of networking or internet would be provided.

    Damn you're ignorant.

    > Anything less than that, and it's going to get hacked. I guarantee it.

Console Gaming PlayStation Games Video Games