How do I boot to Desktop?

Wee

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003

Suddenly my XP PRO is booting up to Windows Explorer showing the My
Documents folder. It used to boot up to the desktop screen (icons).

What happened? How do I reset this?

Thanks

Hi

Please try the following link to Kelly's web page:

Line 255 - right hand side

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

<wee@willy.com> wrote in message
> Suddenly my XP PRO is booting up to Windows Explorer showing the My
> Documents folder. It used to boot up to the desktop screen (icons).
>
> What happened? How do I reset this?
>
> Thanks

Wee

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 11:11:24 +0100, "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org>
wrote:

>Hi
>
>Please try the following link to Kelly's web page:
>
>Line 255 - right hand side
>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

OK

I will

How do these things happen? Mind of its own?

wrote:

>Hi
>
>Please try the following link to Kelly's web page:
>
>Line 255 - right hand side
>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

I did. Found two registry changes to consider:

-----------------------(1)-----------------------------

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"Userinit"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\userinit.exe,"

Strangely enough my entry was:
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe;C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe"
I made it:
"C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\userinit.exe"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"PersistBrowsers"=dword:00000000

I did not have this registry entry that I could find anyway.

I rebooted and problem was gone!

Thanks