Windows 7 freezing on login screen (choose user)

cow_moo_90

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Hello,

recently my laptop (Toshiba Portege R830) started to freeze on the login screen almost everytime I power it up. As soon as I enter the login screen (the screen where you choose which user you want to log in with), my laptop just plain freezes: nothing works except shutting it down and restarting and praying. But sometimes it works and doesn't freeze, strangely (like right now).

When I open my laptop in safe mode, it always work. There isn't any problem at all.

I did a chkdsk in the console command screen (the famous cmd.exe) and also checked for any ''integrity problems'' (sfc/scannow I think it was) but it came up with nothing.

I know it's vague but this is all I know. Does anyone know what might cause freezes on the login screen when you have to choose user? Personally I'd say this isn't related to hardware since the computer is like 2 or 3 months old, which there isn't much stuff on it right now too. It's also not a virus, I didn't do anything shady (yet) with this laptop.

I also have another small problem with my user folder. It's the default folder located at C:Users/(my name). It has been acting strangely since I had this computer. Sometimes when I delete one of the annoying useless folders like ''Favorites'' or ''Searches'' they don't disappear right away. I have to refresh the page to make it disappear for real, and this is troubling me because I never saw anything like that before. Usually when you delete something, it just goes away instantly. Also, I backup'ed some of the folders in the user folder on an external hard drive and sometimes when I power up my external hard drive some duplicate folders are created, which is so unbelievably annoying since when they keep coming back and I have to refresh everything to confirm I really deleted them.

I'm new to Windows 7 and right now I have to say that I'm not really impressed...

Your help for my two problems will be appreciated.

edit: note that I haven't installed anything related to hardware recently...this is happening randomly it seems. Also I'd like to know if you recommend that I store my music and my documents in a different folder than Users/(my name) and that I create my own folder structure...

As you probably know, booting into safe mode loads a minimal set of functions, drivers, etc, as opposed to booting normal. So the offending driver (or whatever) is not loaded, thus you can function in safe mode.
Was there a recent Windows automatic update installed or any other software updates, firewall, antivirus ? We trust them, but they have been known to overwrite drivers, which they think should be updated. While in safe mode, did you try Last known good config ? Or also tried install-repair, even though sfc /scannow found nothing ?
Short of that, you might test memory, or try booting with one memory stick installed only (assuming you have more than one.