Solved

Chipset Spec? Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB

Directly Below is the "Chipset Spec" from Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB motherboard. Can someone explain to this novice what this tech information means in english. My concern is to how many "working" USB 3.0 ports will my system have (see home build specs below).

Chipset:
1. Up to 2 USB 3.0/2.0 ports (available through the internal USB headers)
2. Up to 6 USB 2.0/1.1 ports (2 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB headers)

Chipset + 2 VIA USB Hubs:
1. Up to 8 USB 3.0/2.0 ports (4 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB headers)
* In Windows XP, the Intel USB 3.0 ports and VIA USB HUB can support up to USB 2.0 transfer speed.
* Due to a Windows 7 limitation, please connect your USB device(s) to the USB 2.0/1.1 port(s) before the Intel USB 3.0 controller driver is installed.

My New System Build...

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced Blue Edition RC-932-KKN3-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Corsair Enthusiast Series CP-9020039-NA650W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V 80 PLUS

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB - LGA1155 Intel Z77 Chipset

Intel Core i5-3470 Quad-Core Processor 3.2 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I53470

G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1600MHz 240-Pin PC3-12800

EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti SUPERCLOCKED 2048MB GDDR5 DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI, DP, SLI Graphics Card (02G-P4-3662-KR) Graphics Cards 02G-P4-3662-KR

ADATA XPG SX900 64 GB SATA III 6 GB/sec SandForce 2.5 Inch SSD (ASX900S3-64GM-C)

Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda 7200RPM 2 TB SATA 6 GB/s NCQ 64 MB Cache

Pioneer 15X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA Blu-ray Burner BDR-2208 [5.25]

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

Koutech Multifunction SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Front Panel Multi-format Card Reader with eSATA/HD Audio Ports (5.25" )

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about chipset spec gigabyte z77x ud5h
  1. Check the back and internal I/O ports:
    4 x USB 3.0 ports - back and
    3 x USB 3.0 headers - internal that can be used for up to 6 USB ports.
  2. Hello... You will have 4 physical USB3 connectors on the back panel... you will have 2 physical USB2 connectors on the back panel... and 4 more USB3/USB2 on your motherboard headers, for Case front panel connections, if your case includes the wiring and connectors.
  3. Best answer
    UD5 said:
    Directly Below is the "Chipset Spec" from Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB motherboard. Can someone explain to this novice what this tech information means in english. My concern is to how many "working" USB 3.0 ports will my system have (see home build specs below).

    Chipset:
    1. Up to 2 USB 3.0/2.0 ports (available through the internal USB headers)
    2. Up to 6 USB 2.0/1.1 ports (2 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB headers)

    Chipset + 2 VIA USB Hubs:
    1. Up to 8 USB 3.0/2.0 ports (4 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB headers)
    * In Windows XP, the Intel USB 3.0 ports and VIA USB HUB can support up to USB 2.0 transfer speed.
    * Due to a Windows 7 limitation, please connect your USB device(s) to the USB 2.0/1.1 port(s) before the Intel USB 3.0 controller driver is installed.


    Here's what they're saying there... your motherboard chipset is the Intel Z77 chip, that chip can support 2 each USB 3.0 ports. Also included on your motherboard are two VIA chips to control another 8 each USB 3.0 ports (two headers per chip). Some of those are unavailable in your current configuration (because you'll have no connectors to the USB_3.0_2 and USB_3.0_3 headers - that's 4 ports)
    You will lose one port to run your Koutech Multifunction SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Front Panel Multi-format Card Reader with eSATA/HD Audio Ports (5.25" ) so with the hardware you show you will have two USB 3.0 ports available on your front panel (coming out of header USB_3.0_1) and three available at the back for a total of 5 places to plug in USB 3.0 devices
    I think that's what you are asking

    PS I can't but help notice your CPU is sub-par for the parts around it (IMO)
  4. C12Friedman said:
    Here's what they're saying there... your motherboard chipset is the Intel Z77 chip, that chip can support 2 each USB 3.0 ports. Also included on your motherboard are two VIA chips to control another 8 each USB 3.0 ports (two headers per chip). Some of those are unavailable in your current configuration (because you'll have no connectors to the USB_3.0_2 and USB_3.0_3 headers - that's 4 ports)
    You will lose one port to run your Koutech Multifunction SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Front Panel Multi-format Card Reader with eSATA/HD Audio Ports (5.25" ) so with the hardware you show you will have two USB 3.0 ports available on your front panel (coming out of header USB_3.0_1) and three available at the back for a total of 5 places to plug in USB 3.0 devices
    I think that's what you are asking

    PS I can't but help notice your CPU is sub-par for the parts around it (IMO)



    Thank you, I appreciate it. I have a much better understanding now. As for the CPU, I disagree with the "sub-par", but if you will be more specific with how it may affect the OS and system components from running smoothly, I am all ears. I am new to building and the gaming thing, something I must try though, and I understand that this system will not run the highest levels games out there.
  5. Best answer selected by UD5.
  6. UD5 said:
    Thank you, I appreciate it. I have a much better understanding now. As for the CPU, I disagree with the "sub-par", but if you will be more specific with how it may affect the OS and system components from running smoothly, I am all ears. I am new to building and the gaming thing, something I must try though, and I understand that this system will not run the highest levels games out there.

    The system should in fact run very smoothly with that CPU, I say that only because all other parts are ready for overclocking but the CPU is locked and cannot be overclocked
  7. C12Friedman said:
    The system should in fact run very smoothly with that CPU, I say that only because all other parts are ready for overclocking but the CPU is locked and cannot be overclocked


    Ah, thank you, good infor for this novice, what CPU do you recomend in the i5 ???
  8. On the Intel CPU models, you'll want a CPU which has a 'k' at the end of the model name. The 'k' signifying the CPU is unlocked and the multiplier can be increased. For Ivy Bridge the two unlocked CPU models are the Core i5 3570k and the Core i7 3770k.
Ask a new question

Read More

Chipsets USB Motherboards