AMD Phenom II X4 960T Build! Help plz

Approximate Purchase Date: NEW YEARS

Budget Range: $800-1000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies)

Parts Not Required: (keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (newegg.ca, ncix.com, canadacomputer.com, directcanada.com, memoryexpress.com)

Parts Preferences: Antec eleven hundred, this is the only case i find attractive.

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes, but in future

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: i like to build a computer that can last me 4 year-ish. im mainly building this computer to play battlefield 3. i plan to buy one gtx 560 ti now and another within the next 12 months when games intensity increase.

Parts i already bought:
AMD Phenom II X4 960T - $114.99 @ newegg.ca
Antec eleven hundred - $105.99 @ memoryexpress.com after price match
Samsung DVD-Writer - $15.74 @ memoryexpress.com after price match
Antec High Current Pro gold 750W Modular Power Supply -$136.24 @ memoryexpress.com after price match
CORSAIR A70 - $29.99 @ ncix.com

Parts i need to get:
Videocard: most likely gtx 560ti
Motherbored: (looking to one to unlock my 960t to 6 cores, heard i need something called Advanced Clock Calibration) (also need 16x16x or 8x8x)
Harddrive: (thinking about Seagate Momentus XT solid state hybrid for $150, any opinion about this?)
http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=15_215_217&item_id=031555
Ram: (i have a mushkin 4gb ddr3 1333mhz, necessary to upgrade?)

Thanks

rshim
12 answers Last reply
More about phenom 960t build
  1. Build looks good but for game anything more that 4 core is not need/used and being that a Phenom II 955 Deneb chip is better than the 960T and of the cores you cant use I would really just grab a Phenom II x4 955 3.2 Deneb that is faster and the same price.
  2. 960t and 955 are the same price, and since 960 can unlock 2 extra cores i figure it will be future proof
  3. I strongly suggest that you look at the Intel core i5 2500 path. This with a good z68 motherboard offers an upgrade path to the Ivy Bridge ++ more CPU power than the Phenom II and the FX series.

As for the GPU upgrade path; I would not recommend getting a 560Ti with an upgrade to SLIed cards at the moment. In 12 months time the GTX 600 series and AMD 7000 series will be a good few months old and will have started to drop in price. You'd be better off throwing away your 560Ti and moving to an entirely new GTX 670 or Radeon HD 7950 instead of bothering to SLI. This would probably offer similar speeds to SLIed 560Tis at the same price.
    -- So in short, Go with a GTX 560Ti now, but don't expect to SLI it (unless you SLI now). When It can no longer keep up with new games, just throw it away and go with a new 7000 series/600 series NVidia
  4. thank you for the reply.
    i understand i5 2500 is better than the amd 960t, but my budget is practically at its limit with my current build. plus 960t are also 4 real cores which is all that i need to run games/app. i believe an overclocked 960t can reach 80% of i5 2500, which would make up the $100 price difference.
    i will take ur advice and wait for the new video cards

thanks
    rshim
  5. i would get the 960t over the 955. they overclock just as well and you have the possibility to unlock extra cores. I wouldn't count on the new graphics cards coming out being that much of an upgrade over what is available now, especially not the price/performance, which is important with midhigh range cards like the 560ti.
  6. i guess il just wait till boxing day and buy the video card then, btw any recommendation on motherboard?
  7. I've never been a fan of video cards with 1gig of ram above 1600 res for SP. and if you're going to go on line to play I'd bump it up a notch also. as far as waiting goes. the new cards are supposed to trickle out in Jan ( 9th ). but they will be the high end from what I read.
  8. does anyone know if pile driver will use am3+ socket?
  9. Hey rshim, I was searching google for a good motherboard for the 960t cpu, as I'd love to unlock the extra cores, what did you end up with? Thanks
  10. chris4585 said:
    Hey rshim, I was searching google for a good motherboard for the 960t cpu, as I'd love to unlock the extra cores, what did you end up with? Thanks

hi there,
    i end up getting gigabyte 990fxa-ud3. this mobo will support piledriver, and it has 2 full 16x pci express slots.
  11. Quote:
    how are you going to spend over $750 and not include a 2500K...

i am at $700 right now excluding my gpu. and we Canadians pay 13 percent tax, so $885 actually = $1000
  12. i rather get a better gpu then cpu
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems