Tech Help Wanted...:)

G

Okay guys, I got a question for all of you tech-heads that had me baffled and still does, even though I've gotten a temporary solution to a permanent problem.

I applied for my cable modem and went out to buy a NIC. I chose the Linksys LNE100TX V4 10/100 PCI Ethernet Card. Now I consulted with the geniuses at my service provider and was assured that this NIC would be fine for my uses. Now I'm running Win Me (don't berate me...lol) on an AMD Athlon 800 mhz t-bird off an ABIT KT-7 RAID. I do not have VIA 4-in-1 installed. Now I still had my dial-up modem installed with the NIC at the same time. While I could not connect to the internet using my cable modem for whatever reason. I kept getting Windows Protection Errors (you need to restart) on BSODs in the middle of using my PC. I got all sorts of exception errors from tcpip.vxd to OD and OE errors. I even went so far as to reformat my HD and reinstall windows to no avail.

Now, I couldn't even view web pages on dial-up until I decided just to remove the NIC, which is the only thing that I've installed before the headaches. My question is, do you think the card is bad, or is there a problem having a modem and a NIC installed at the same time. I know someone in an office I used to work at who had a dial-up modem in their PC for fax purposes while having a NIC in there to connect them to the internet.

Any help anyone can give is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

G

Having the modem and NIC installed is fine... But you did go with a 'cheap' brand of NIC, and while the hardware for the card is probably ok, the drivers generally suck. I'd go with an Intel or 3Com NIC if you still can, otherwise, make sure you download the latest drivers from Linksys's web site. If all else fails, try a different PCI port on your motherboard for the NIC...sometimes that helps...

I would also install the VIA 4-in-1 as that might help with some issues... (and do I have to mention that you should install all of the latest service packs, etc. for WinME?).

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Having both installed is fine. Make sure you have the latest drivers installed.

'Cheap' NIC are perfectly fine. I bough a pair of $10 no-name NIC and found no noticible difference with my old 3Com in terms of performance. You don't need to 'waste' money just for the 'name.'

<font color=blue>Your mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take affect. Restart Now?[OK]</font color=blue>

G

i only run win 95 and when i go to my brothers and use his cable modem or i run a game on my lan that only works with tcp/ip i have to uninstall my dial up adapter from my network settings they both don't play well together on tcp/ip.
if i have net card using ipx/spx no problems.
you don't have to remove any cards just disable the settings and reboot.
i have a duron 700 on a k7t pro2a
netgear fa310tx 10/100 nic

who is more foolish...
the fool, or the fool that takes his advice?

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Theres no reason at all why you cant have a modem and lan card in the same sys, until recently when I reformatted I had a mode and TWO lan cards, the modem is still in there but I havnt bothered installing the drivers lol (got cable recently), It sounds to me like you have either an irq confilict or your networking config isn't setup right.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

TRENDING THREADS