Sign in with
Your question

Small office network setup configuration

Last response: in Business Computing
September 7, 2011 9:19:25 AM

Hello,
i am just starting my business with a small office setup with 5 computers and 1 printer.now i want to make one computer act as a server and host as a administrator inorder to control all other computer.please help me to solve the problem.
September 8, 2011 4:04:39 AM

Admining a server does take a bit of talent *if i do say so myself*. What I believe you are looking for is an active directory or LDAP. This will allow you to set up several users who have to log in to the server for their preferences *basically, it's a bit more complicated than that really*. There are several different routes to go here. My advice? If you are not at least semi-versed in the server operating systems... hire a company to set it up for you. If you don't you could find yourself making mistakes that could end up costing much more money than you think you are saving by attempting this set up yourself.

September 8, 2011 5:19:37 AM

Office networking is a big subject and it all depends on your needs and the needs of your users.

When our small company started we had 5 Windows computers. We connected them all through a router and accessed the data stored on one of them. Everybody had full access to all of the files. As we grew and hired some employees our needs changed. We bought a separate low powered server running Linux and put our files on it. We had some files that only a few people had access to and other files that everybody had access to. Plus the Linux server has a higher percentage of uptime than our Windows workstations did. If we had even more users, and needed higher performance, we might need to build a more powerful server. We could have built a server using Windows Server. I've been told that this system would be easier for us to administer but much more expensive. For now we are probably staying with the Linux server, but I may build one a bit more expensive.

Many/most printers these days do not require a connection to a computer, you just plug them into the network and all of the computers have access to them.

You also need a router to manage your connections. If you have an internet connection then you might need a broadband router, or your ISP might supply this. And then you either have to connect your workstations to the router using WiFi or using network cables which is what we do.
Related resources
September 8, 2011 7:14:44 PM

Sounds like a homework problem. :) 
Anonymous
September 9, 2011 10:55:04 AM

riser said:
Sounds like a homework problem. :) 

That reply is against forum rules! There will be no "slapping down with insults" on this forum! :lol: 
September 14, 2011 7:47:57 PM

You might want to look into Microsoft Small Business Server, the standard edition comes with almost all the software you should need and it's very easy to administer. They also have some new versions for the very small business.
November 2, 2011 1:31:11 AM

If you don't want to use Active Directory you can use a Peer-to-Peer setup, or am I wrong. Also, again, depends on what you want, you can implement a DMZ an isolate your LAN form the Internet. If you have a website for your business and you want "outsiders" to access your company website to, let's say dwonlaod pricing sheets, you can put that pc in the DMZ. But seting up a small network isn't mind boggeling. Nowadays, it's relatively more user friendly. A server, a switch, a router, couple 10base-t rj-45 cabling and you're good to go :) 
November 16, 2011 2:08:52 PM

Look for a OEM box running Microsoft Small Business Server Essentials. It will work a nice trick for you.
November 22, 2011 11:06:21 AM

Hire somebody that knows what they are doing. Nobody seems to have mentioned backup, redundancy, encryption, security, expansion. In the UK you also need to ensure you comply with the DPA.

Physically getting 5 PC talking = Piece of piddle!
Building scalable secure networks = Worth paying a professional!
December 2, 2013 1:06:54 AM

create active directory .. how many user having ...create users name ....
and login create ids ... give permissions on that it will apply to all users.....
December 2, 2013 7:17:12 AM

If you are looking simply for file sharing, this can be accomplished via peer to peer networking. First, ensure that all systems are configured on the same workgroup. Second, ensure that any system hosting file shares has users which have the same name and password as the users which will be accessing the data. Lastly, share the file shares and use permissions to control what level of access can be had by each system. See share files and folders on a workgroup or a domain.

If on the other hand you are looking for administrative control of the clients, a Windows Server system with Active Directory will be necessary. Using Active Directory causes each client to become registered with the Domain Controller, which centrally hosts all login credentials for the network. Using Group Policy, both the client and the user experience can be administered. If you are just getting into administration, you may want to start with the Springboard Series on TechNet. The Springboard Series on TechNet provides videos, tutorials, and tools to ease the task of Windows administration. I would personally suggest Group Policy for Beginners as a good place to begin, and if you have Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 systems in your environment, the Windows 8 Jump Start for IT Professionals.
!