Sign in with
Your question

Linux SoundScard??

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
December 13, 2001 8:59:23 PM

What SoundCards are known to work with Linux!!!
Tried an xWave Yahama DS1 Chipset soundcard and it tried but only about half - Played Audio CD's OK (cable from the cd player to the soundcard analog input was installed), but nothing else( no Wav sounds or MP3's produced any sounds)...

Usin Suse Linux(7.3)... Installed many different players - Mp3's look like their playin(advancing time counter) but no sound output... Hum...

Would like to find a soundcard that autodetects/autoinstalls in Win 2000(and uses drivers on W2K CD) and also works in Linux!

Any ESS chipsets known to work? (they autoinstall in W2k)

Heard the SoundBlaster 16/128(Ensonic Es-1371 chipset) does great in Linux - but does it autoinstall in W2K???

Tis quite a job selectin hardware compatable with both...

More about : linux soundscard

Anonymous
December 13, 2001 10:31:38 PM

yamaha ymf seems ok for me, but the sound is only average - but i'm a picky bugger when it comes to that stuff. it's fine for play mp3s and such. ensoniq cards appear to have the best sound quality (<A HREF="http://www.linuxhardware.org" target="_new">www.linuxhardware.org&lt;/A>) if you can find one.

ess should be fine (i've used one successfully on a laptop), but check the <A HREF="http://www.alsa-project.org" target="_new">alsa project</A> to make sure.

can't help with the sb vs win2k, but they're so common i can't imagine it being a difficult install...

edit: btw, check your mixer settings. there's a heap of volume controls... make sure they're not muted, and are high enough. esp wav, pcm, and master.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rjb263 on 12/13/01 07:36 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
December 14, 2001 12:55:00 AM

My SB Live! cards have always been setup perfectly in linux, and work great for me in windows too...

Lyrics. Wasted time between solos.
December 15, 2001 2:11:31 AM

SB Live works, so does the Hercules line...just make sure you have a recent distro.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.
!