Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 won't install, needs cd / dvd device drivers.

Last response: in Windows 7
December 31, 2011 12:52:39 AM

I've spent the afternoon building my new pc. My DVD Drive is an HP dvd1260i. When I put the windows 7 disk in and try to install it, I get the error "A required CD / DVD drive device driver is missing." The drive did come with a disk that includes Nero burner and on the front says includes drivers, but windows still won't recognize it. Any suggestions?

Here is my build:

Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 960T Black 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($95.14 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 6870 2GB Video Card ($187.55 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout ATX Mid Tower Case ($46.26 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: OCZ 550W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $613.91
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated 2011-12-30 21:52 EST-0500)
a b $ Windows 7
December 31, 2011 1:34:12 AM

You should be able to boot off the dvd without a driver, just set it as the first boot device in the bios. After the first dvd boot, just leave it alone and let it default to the hdd. Then change it back after the install.
December 31, 2011 1:39:51 AM

RealBeast said:
You should be able to boot off the dvd without a driver, just set it as the first boot device in the bios. After the first dvd boot, just leave it alone and let it default to the hdd. Then change it back after the install.

I can boot off the DVD, it just during the installation is that it says "No Drivers Found, can't install".

I did though just successfully install Ubuntu onto it, so I'm thinking something may be wrong with the disc.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
December 31, 2011 2:00:47 AM

Doh! Since you already installed Ubuntu you probably created the issue, and the disk is probably fine.

HERE is a good guide to dual booting with Win 7 and Ubuntu. I usually install Win 7 first on a separate partition. Personally, I run Ubuntu in a VMWare Workstation window, along with several other OSs, just so easy.
December 31, 2011 2:01:27 AM

Was Ubuntu installed onto your boot drive before you tried to install Windows? Windows likes to be installed ifirst.

What kind of drive are you installing windows on, HDD or SSD? Are you trying to install a RAID setup?

a b $ Windows 7
December 31, 2011 2:03:04 AM

kinggraves said:
Was Ubuntu installed onto your boot drive before you tried to install Windows? Windows likes to be installed ifirst.

What kind of drive are you installing windows on, HDD or SSD? Are you trying to install a RAID setup?

^^ yup, Windows 7 first, then Ubuntu on a separate partition.

December 31, 2011 3:09:18 AM

Nah, since Windows wasn't installing I installed Ubuntu just to make sure it wasn't a hardware problem.

Turns out the disc I was using must have had a burn error. I re-burned Windows 7 and it worked perfectly. Typing this on my new rig! :sol: 
April 27, 2013 3:55:54 PM

This is like a year and change too late, but I found the solution in having my own exact experience with this issue.

The answer lies in the BIOS. Depending on your BIOS setup, you have to make sure the SATA channel that you plug the Drive into is configured correctly, ie. IDE. My board has SATA ports 0-5 with 0,1 being 6GB/s and 2-5 being 3GB/s. I had to match up the SATA port and manually configure it for IDE in the BIOS to get Windows 7 to recognize the DVD drove. If you try and configure it any other way, like for RAID, like I did, you will get to that same point and be stuck. This took several hours of trial and error playing around with the BIOS settings and loading Windows...getting the error... change another setting...

My Build:
CPU: AMD FX 8-Core 4.0GHz 16 MB total Cache
Motherboard: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
Memory: 16GB (8x2) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-2133
Video Card: EVGA GeForce 660 X2 In SLI
Hard Drive: Intel 120GB SSD
PSU: ThermalTake Smart 850W Bronze Modular
!