Is my psu enough for two GTX 680s?

ctrain24

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
I have a OCZ ZT Series 750W psu. Can it power my system with two GTX 680s? If yes, is there room to overclock cpu and gpu's?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341052

i5 2500k
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB ( 240-PinDDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
2- GTX 680's
Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240gb
500GB Western Digital 7,200 rpm
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo
HT Omega Striker 7.1
Asus dvd burner

Solution
For a system using two GeForce GTX 680 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 750 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 53 Amps or greater and that has at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most crucial factor.

The OCZ ZT Series 750W (OCZ-ZT750W), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 62 Amps and with four (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than sufficient to power your...

Uther39

Distinguished

2x 680?!
Why?
What exactly will you be running to warrant such a ridiculous amount of graphical power?

Uther39

Distinguished

Thats because in my opinion he is probably waisting his money, unless hes running 3 monitors, one would be enough in which case his psu is enough, otherwise buy a petter reputed psu from xfx or corsair.

theconsolegamer

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
Your PSU may work at almost at 100% if you overclocked the CPU and plan to tinker with the GTX 680's on full load. This cards draw more power than GTX 580's. You may want to look for a bigger PSU if you want to SLI the GTX 680.

A good quality 750 watt power supply. OCZ? eh i wouldn't try it but it should do the job. if you want to over clock running GPU's on slight overclock and max mostly gaming. with power headroom...a 800 or 850

@all the people that say you don't need a second.....

Dudes. if he wants 2 GTX 680's let him have them. We fail to forget here. This is about the Consumer we are helping. its his money so thats enough to warrant it. If he wants to run every game on max for the next 4 to 5 years then hes more than welcome to buy what ever he wants. As long as he's got the money. Now if he had to murder three Banks guards a cashier and 2 goats.....Thats right i said Goats. To get the money to buy then i would be giving my self up because just one GTX 680 will do.

Actually they only draw 195 watt's of power.....So...if you check its way less than a 580.

Just to give you an idea. the lowest Power Supply you can use is a 550 watt......I was informed before the GTX 680 came out that the Power Design was so good than you can SLI it on a 750 watt quality Power Supply

xtreme5

Distinguished
friend, gpu feed much power from psu as compare to all other component even when you intend to overclock the gpu so you are talking about the latest and top end cards so in my opinion that is a dangerous situation. atleast 1000w

catatafish

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Go to the Nvidia site and look at their recommended PSUs. Or go to Intel or corsair and they each have calculators to use to tell you exactly what you'll need.

There is more to a PSU than how many connections it has and how many watts it has. There is also the amps at 12v to consider, and furthermore, how many HDDs, fans, OC, etc. Then there's the issue of running a PC at 90% PSU usage all the time. The most efficient part of the curve is at 50% power draw on most of them and that's where you want your PSU operating the majority of the time....that is if you want it to last awhile.

For a system using two GeForce GTX 680 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 750 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 53 Amps or greater and that has at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most crucial factor.

The OCZ ZT Series 750W (OCZ-ZT750W), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 62 Amps and with four (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with two GeForce GTX 680 in 2-way SLI mode.

Solution

Thank You for Clarifying that to everyone. I told everyone but no body listens....

TRENDING THREADS