Problems after shipping. No post. Connect video card to psu?

Bradleydl

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
Hello. Yesterday my computer arrived after it was shipped by my grandparents from Nova Scotia to Alberta where I now reside.

I built the computer a few years ago, and haven't had any issues in the recent past. My grandparents packaged my computer with one layer of bubble wrap.

When I opened the case, I found my aftermarket cpu cooler to be free-floating within the case.

There was (visible) damage to the underside of the cpu cooler, and the top of the processor itself, as well as my graphics card being slightly bent.

I found some thermal paste, and reapplied it to the cpu and re-attached the cooler. When trying to boot normally (with HDDs disconnected), I get this error message saying that I failed to connect a pci-e power cable to the psu:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe0CtarxhI4

And when removing the video card I manage to get the cpu coolers fan to spin, but get a beep code or two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwd5sfG9T48

I believe it's the video card, but considering the destruction caused by shipping, from my view it could be any combination of issues.

M4A79XTD EVO
amd athlon II x4 (don't know model #)
Radeon HD 4890
Seasonic 850w psu
Thanks,

Brad

Bradleydl

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
One continuous beep followed by three short beeps: No vga detected.

So the beeps without the video card installed means that there's no video card. The second code, the single beep probably refers to no keyboard installed. So if when the video card is installed gives me the error in red, does this mean it's for sure the video card, or could it be the processor still? I highly doubt it's the psu, as it's an 850w Seasonic power supply.

One long beep followed by 3 short beeps can be a RAM problem.

TBH, the best thing I can tell you to do is try to find a working computer that is similar and try switching things between the two computers.

Put their RAM in yours and your RAM in theirs, turn both on, see what happens.

Put your video card in theirs and their video card in yours, turn both on, see what happens.

Etc.

Without being able to switch out parts its hard to guarantee the causes of problems that early in the boot process.