Sign in with
Your question

Trifire Questions Eyefinity 3 Way Monitors

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 21, 2011 10:06:02 AM

Hey guys, I am back after my most recent upgrade of my 2500k which I have now seated underneath a hyper 212+ sitting at 4.5 ghz stable over from my phenom x4 970. Things are going well but its now time for another upgrade!

Basically I am running an Asus P8Z68-V Pro motherboard, with the current specs of 2 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots (single at x16 or dual at x8 / x8 mode).
I am basically wanting to throw in another video card as I am going with 3 24' asus monitors for a 5870x1200 (or something like that) resolution and I came across an interesting thread that explained I can pair my single xfx 6970, with a xfx 6990 for 3 way trifire!

I do have some concerns, first off is 8x 8x dual mode actually good compared to 16x 16? Also I am currently running a XFX limited edition 850 watt single rail technology psu, and I am not sure that will cut it for power as I also 2 run tb drives, 2 ssd drives, 12 fans a corsair h100 ethernet card and sound card. Will I need to invest in a new PSU?

Help me out guys, and thanks. I will respond later tomorrow as I am going to bed :p 

Also for a dual restricted 2 pci-e pc, a 6990 and a 6970 beats out 2 gtx 580s in sli in performance and scaling, (its 3 cards, duh) but, around almost the identical price, lol.
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2011 11:42:25 AM

Ok, lots of stuff to look out for here:

First, PSU for a double 6990, with an overclocked CPU... target a 1.300+ Watts PSU.

Here is a decent review that speaks about that:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/his-radeon-hd-6990-crossf...

read it VERY carefull as some parts state things that you might understand wrongly (like for example the wattage numbers "FULL SYSTEM WITH GPU IN FULL STRESS" is ONLY GPUS IN FULL STRESS, and you still have to factor into that CPU, optical drives, Hdds, cold cathodes, case fans, and wahtever else you actually plugged the PSU into).

Be very very carefull here. Your PSU not only has to manage the Wats, but also the AMPs for the GPUS. My advice, investigate very very carefully here, and if unsure, go with the safer option.

Second part:
you are saying you will use 3 asus 24". My advice: Review as many 24" monitors as you can, and get those that have the thinest border on the sides to make the effect better. Most monitors nowdays look very good if they are not very very cheap.

Third part: 8x/8x and 16x/16x is no diffrence. I cant link right now the review but im sure you can google it.
Basicly the GPUS dont send enought information to saturate those lanes, and even if they did, we would have limits on other things before there. In other words, this might affect you when you have an older game where you would have 180 FPS instead of 250 FPS. But in a game that is heavy on your GPUS (Metro 2033, crysis1 and 2, etc), the limit will still be due to the lack of GPU core power.

SSDs always before HDDs. As long as you can afford it. The most typical trend is to go for SSD for OS, and a few key programs like antivirus, firewall, directx... and then use some HDDs for the "Data", meaning games, movies, etc.
Personally i use 3 HDDs as i dont ahve the cash for a SSD now.
1 os, 2 games, 3 movies and backups.

One last thing. For a eyefinity with 3 monitors, i would recomend you do your research.
I heard many problems may come to happen, and i think it would be a good idea to check it out as much as you can.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2011 12:00:35 PM

I run Eyefinity on three 24" Asus screens with just two 6950's and don't see the need for three GPU's. Be sure to grab the 2GB cards though as you'll need the higher video RAM for the high resolution. I'm sure Trifire would be faster then Crossfire but I'm not so sure it would be worth it.

I picked up three of these and have been very happy with them. I have the center screen slightly overlaping the side screens' bezels which makes the bezel seem a lot thinner and also lines up the image better. Be sure to pick up an *ACTIVE* mini-DispalyPort or DisplayPort to DVI adapter. Make 100% sure it's ACTIVE like this one.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2011 12:19:53 PM

Firstly the difference between x8/x8 and x16/x16 is around 1-2%. And you are correct, a 6990+6970 even outperforms 3-way 580 SLI (which is 50% more expensive). (Heres a quick link, not the article I was thinking of but it makes its point http://hardocp.com/article/2011/04/28/nvidia_geforce_3w...)

Secondly you PSU will definitely not cut it. I would recommend a Corsair AX1200 PSU, though as when I usually recommend a PSU on here someone will quickly point out that you could save a few bucks cause technically you only need 1000W but I like the headroom and that is one solid PSU.
m
l
!