Small business lansnetwork

Hello,My application is a home-based small business office. I have an existing 8 year old wired network with wires throughout the house. System uses cable modem (Mototola SB5101 from Cox), and 3com gateway (3c855) and switch. Currently 8 connections. I am trying to add wireless for use with laptops and mobile devices. But wireless routers don't easily add to what i have. Should I start over, or can I securely add a wireless router to wht I already have? Also, do I need to upgrade my existing wired eqwuipment to get the latest security and performance
2 answers Last reply
More about small business lansnetwork
  1. Get a wireless/wired router, connect that to the modem, get rid of the gateway, connect the switch to the router. Will work just fine.
  2. You should be able to just switch out the 3COM with a new wireless router.
    Make sure to power cycle the modem after connecting a new router.

newer routers have a faster WAN connection which could even increase your internet speed on your network.

your current router has a 10Mb WAN and a 10/100 LAN ports.
    newer routers have a 10/100 or 10/100/1000 Mb WAN and 10/100 or 10/100/1000 Mb LAN ports respectively.

You could also add a router, configured as an Access Point, to your network by connecting a network cable to one of the LAN ports of the wireless router

I like to use the WPA2 wireless mode over WEP.

A Linksys E2000 is a good, easy to configure router.
Ask a new question

Read More

Routers Wireless Router Networking