Sign in with
Your question

Where are the IvyBridge motherboards that support RAID cards?

Last response: in Motherboards
January 29, 2013 6:09:32 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm having a nightmare of a time setting up my new PC and am desperate for help.

My new motherboard, the Intel DZ77RE-75K doesn't work with my new Areca ARC-1223-8i RAID card nor LSI 3ware 9750-8i.

Its BIOS doesn't even acknowledge the PCI-E slot as being occupied.

My old AMCC 3ware 9650SE-12ML card works fine and has done so in every desktop board before it so this whole 3rd party RAID card compatibility issue has come as a major shock to me.

I suspect the fancy new BIOS is the cause of all my problems. This board and its chipset (Z77) are not new to the market so after close to a year of BIOS updates and no sign of compatibility fixes, is hardware RAID on Desktop PCs in decline?

Does anyone know any ATX mobo or chipset that supports 3rd generation Core i7 processors, PCI-E 3.0, USB 3.0, SATA 3 and RAID cards??
January 29, 2013 10:12:37 PM

alexoiu said:
Hi,
Here you might get an answer: http://ask.adaptec.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17087/~/...
So does the adapter support UEFI BIOS?

Thank you kindly for the response.

I'm actually new to all this UEFI stuff. My motherboard has a BIOS option to disable UEFI boot but for some reason the card still doesn't work. Then again, it also has an option to disable Network boot but the damn PXE messages still come up during boot and the NICs are listed in the boot order list.

... so does this mean the motherboard's BIOS settings aren't working?

What's weird is that my old RAID card works and it can't possibly be UEFI compliant since it's relatively old compared to the recent UEFI spec...
m
l
Related resources
a c 557 V Motherboard
January 30, 2013 4:50:54 AM

Hard to say what's wrong. Try contacting the manufacturers (Areca or LSI).
m
l
February 9, 2013 9:09:14 AM

I have the same issue with an areca 1880i (same mobo too).

Think i'm just going to return the board and try an asus. my old asus motherboard had UEFI bios and the raid card worked fine on that one...
m
l
February 9, 2013 11:56:34 AM

migit128 said:
I have the same issue with an areca 1880i (same mobo too).

Think i'm just going to return the board and try an asus. my old asus motherboard had UEFI bios and the raid card worked fine on that one...

I just got mine working with the 3ware 9750 by upgrading the motherboard BIOS to 063 and using the PCI-E 16x slot usually reserved for the graphics card. PCIEx16_1 I think it's called... I always forget which is which.

Not sure if any other changes I've made in BIOS helped, if it was purely down to the BIOS update or the firmware update for the RAID card...
m
l
!