Will DDR2 be compatible with DDR3

aneesh92

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
My computer is not running smoothly after 10 days from the time i put a new DDR3 graphic card and the games are also not running. So my friend said that your PC has a DDR2 slot thats why you cannot put a new DDR3 Galaxy Geforce 210 in your PC.
So what can i do now??He says he can buy my GC at 25% less price. But I bought it just 10 days ago. So isn't 25% too much of loss??
My brother says that there is no such thing as DDR2 cannot be compatible with DDR3 and he is not allowing me to sell my GC to my friend. :( .
Please can you guys help me.
My PC configuration is
Intel Pentium dual CPU e2200 @ 2.20Ghz
2 GB ram

So what should i do...my friend says today is the last day that he will buy Graphic Card from me........so i want urgent answers please.....Is my computer having fault or should i sell it to my friend(even it is in loss). :sweat:

howardp6

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
The type of memory on the graphics card doe not have to match the type of memory installed on your motherboard. With few exceptions motherboards will only accept one type of memory and those that do you can only use one type at a time. The memory slots on a mother board are keyed and so you cannot put DDR3 memory into a DDR2 slot or DDR2 into a DDR3 slot. The latest video cards have DDR5 or DDR3 memory on them and can be used on computers the have DDR2, or DDR3 installed on the motherbopard. In fact the next generation of AMD graphics cards will have a new version rambus memory on them and an as long you of a PCI3 slot on your motherboard you can have DDR3 memory installed. Your brother is correct.

You should resolve the issue with your graphics card. The Geforce 210 uses a PCI-E 2.0 slot, you can put it in a motherboard witha PC-E 1.1 or PCI-E 2.0 slot. If you had a ATI or AMD card in the computer before you have to remove the previous drivers. It does not need a external PCI-E power connectore. Is the graphics card fully seated in PCI-E slot and if you had onboard graphics previously did you disable the onboard graphics. What motherboard do you have? I would question how much a friend he really is.

mouse29982

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008
I would reinstall those graphic drivers first seeing its the easiest thing to do
oh btw what power supply do you have ?
maybe your new cards needs more electrical power.

Btw if you want good help you need to tell us what you have

CPU
motherboard
ram
video card
power supply
hard drives

get all this info, the make and models and numbers... the info!
that way we can tell you what you should try

Dont trust you "friend" he is a douche

^GeForce 210 is bottom of the line graphics card that draws minimum minimum power.

My advice: Find yourself new friend. He/she is definitely try to take advantage of your lack of knowledge on computer hardware and buy an almost brand new HTPC graphics card cheap.

+1 on Gamer-girl's advice. Update your driver.

+1 on robjordy's advice. GeForce 210 is not a card where you want to game with andmore RAM is always good.

So your old graphics card was able to play the game you are playing? What did you have?

aneesh92

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011

I dont know what you mean by CPU. If you mean about the company then its written FUEL.

Motherboard - I am sorry i asked my brother but I forgot and he is in office now so i cant call him.

Ram - 2 GB

Video card - I didnt have a graphics card before. It was inbuilt 128 MB.

power supply - 230 i think

hard drives(i guess youre talking about hard disk) - 1 TB

Sorry for some doubtful information . I am a noob in PC related informations. :??:

aneesh92

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011

I dont know , my brother knows......but is it necessary to disable that???? What happens if i dont

aneesh92

What game are you trying to play?

What was the gpu you had?

Did you play the game alright on your old graphics card but not now?

Or did you think you get a performance increase by using the GeForce 210?

Or was your computer unable to run the game and you hope to play game by installing the GeForce 210?

aneesh92

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011

I a, trying to play FIFA 11 and NFS Most Wanted and I am really disappointed because i can see only lines and colors like pink, black, blue during the game.
Previously I didn't had a graphic card. It was an in built 128 MB . I think it is Intel Core 2 Duo.

aneesh92

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011

Thanks for your support. Now it doesnt have any problem and i have not sol it to my frend. YEEEEEE