Old S-model Aptivas

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Does anyone know much about the old IBM S-model Aptivas? These were those old IBM machines from about 4 years ago. They were black and had the floppy and CD-ROM mounted under the montior in a pop-up housing. They were separate from the main case which sat on the floor and held the hard drive and mobo.

I find that some of the most interesting looking cases are those from OEM. I have changed over 2 old Sony VAIO from Pentium 200 to Pentium 800 by changing the mobo and chip. Those 2 tone grey cases were beautiful.

I would like to try this with the IBM case. I think the S-series were very unique but I am not sure how the Floppy and CD-ROM were connected to the main case. The Sony's used a standard ATX case and I only had to bump up the powersupply.

Does anyone know if this connection is SCSI, or external IDE, or propietory.

Thanks

yoda271828

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<b>I have an S7H!</b> About time to upgrade, huh? The case is great. The entire cover slides off from the front. It's so easy to take apart. The CD-ROM/Floppy console connects to the PC via a Proprietary ISA card. The case form factor is an LPX with a riser card for the PCI/ISA cards. It would take some modification to get an ATX motherboard to fit.