Sign in with
Your question

1500 gaming computer.

Last response: in Systems
December 18, 2011 2:20:00 PM

Im getting a new computer sometime after Christmas what do you think of these parts?

Approximate Purchase Date: 4 weeks or less

Budget Range: 1500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming

Parts Not Required: keyboard mouse

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: dabs.ie

Parts Preferences: None

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Monitor Resolution: 1920X1080

Additional Comments: None

GPU

TWO Asus GeForce GTX 560 Ti 900MHz PCI-Express HDMI (DirectCU II TOP)

OPTICAL DRIVE

Samsung S222AL 22x DVD+/-RW Lightscribe SATA Black (OEM)

PSU

Corsair Memory TX850 V2 850W ATX Enthusiast Series

OS

Microsoft Windows Home Premium 7 SP1 64-bit EN 1pk OEI OEM DVD

MOTHERBOARD

Asus P8Z68-V PRO LGA1155 Intel Z68 DDR3 ATX (USB 3.0)

CASE

Corsair Carbide Series 400R Mid-Tower Gaming Chassis, Black

CPU

Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz LGA1155 6MB

RAM

Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz DIMM 240-pin CL9 LP White

HARD DRIVE

Hitachi 1TB Deskstar SATA 3GB/s 7200RPM 3.5" Hard Drive

Monitor

Asus VG236HE 23" Full 1080p HD 3D TFT Monitor

Would it be worth getting 3d?

More about : 1500 gaming computer

December 20, 2011 7:59:50 AM

It looks really good. I don't even really have any suggestions on things to change.

You might want to get an aftermarket CPU cooler, though, in case you ever decide to overclock. The CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO is a popular budget choice. You can always add one later but you'll likely have to take the motherboard completely out of the case to do it and it's a bit of a pain.

I don't really know how to answer whether it's "worth" getting a 3d monitor. Personally, I can't justify the extra price but that's completely personal preference.
December 20, 2011 11:19:49 AM

All looks great. You could get away with a 750w PSU for this build, but I know some prefer lots of headroom. 2nd the call for the CM Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler. Seems like a shame to get a 'K' processor and then not overclock it with a decent cooler.

I have seen on some other threads people questioning the quality of Hitachi HDDs... the HDD situation is difficult at the moment.

Do you like watching movies in 3D? I've only played a game in 3D for a short time that was setup to demo in store. Not really my thing but I can imagine some people really getting into it, and 3D enhancing the experience in certain games. Be good to test before investing if possible.
December 20, 2011 2:10:17 PM

Worth getting 3d? thats totally your own call based on preferences. I do think 3d is here to stay personally and eventually it will be just another "feature" on TV's regardless if its used or not but 3D gaming lags behind Movies/Televisions in 3D. Plan on watching many 3d Movies? If so i would upgrade to a BD Drive for $75 more
!