Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Would US components work with Australian PSU?

Last response: in CPUs
March 23, 2012 4:58:53 PM

Hi, sorry if I sound like a total noob but I was just wondering if components bought in the USA will work with a PSU bought in Australia?

I'm planning to move to Australia in about half a year and want to move my desktop over and do an upgrade at the same time, and components are cheaper here in the states than they are Down Under so I figured I can just get a PSU there because the power plug is different.

So does voltage matter for any of the components? We use 110v in the US and it's 240v in Australia. I know pretty much all PSU's now can work with 110-240v but will 240v fry my other components? Do components like CPU, memory sticks, GPU, and etc have region specific designs that restrict them to a particular voltage? Or would the Australian PSU automatically convert the 240v to whatever is needed for my components? :o  :sweat: 

Thanks for reading, and please let me know if anything I said has been unclear and I will try to further clarify.

Best solution

a c 472 à CPUs
March 23, 2012 5:04:45 PM

Don't worry about the voltage. The PSU converts the power from the AC outlet to what the electronics can use.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 23, 2012 9:45:43 PM

If it's a PSU with the little red tab on the back make sure it's clicked to the 240 volts. If it doesn't have that tab then it will automatically convert the power.
m
l
March 27, 2012 10:14:17 PM

Best answer selected by bprimetimel.
m
l
!