Sign in with
Your question

Can i mix a 2GB of RAM with a 4GB ??

Tags:
  • Memory
  • RAM
Last response: in Memory
January 29, 2013 10:34:40 PM

Sorry guys i'm a bit a of a noob when it comes to the real technical stuff. I'm learning though :lol: 

Anyway, i got a 1 and a half year old Sony VAIO VPCEB4E4E with 4GB of RAM [two 2GB sticks of RAM on each slot] but i want to upgrade to the max possible of 8GB, so my question is, can i mix a 4GB stick with a 2GB ??

Or do you guys reckon i should just save the money and until i can buy two 4GB sticks ??

Money is a bit tight at the mo so i thought about buying one 4GB stick at the time.

I was thinking about getting this:
http://www.memorycow.co.uk/laptop-computer-memory-ram/k...

or some of the ones in here:
http://www.offtek.co.uk/ram-memory-2/sony/sony-laptop-m...

Here's some of the specs on my Laptop:

RAM
Memory slots
Total memory slots 2
Used memory slots 2
Free memory slots 0
Memory
Type DDR3
Size 4096 MBytes
Channels # Dual
DRAM Frequency 532.1 MHz
CAS# Latency (CL) 7 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 7 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 7 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 20 clocks
Command Rate (CR) 1T
Physical Memory
Memory Usage 65 %
Total Physical 3.67 GB
Available Physical 1.28 GB
Total Virtual 9.17 GB
Available Virtual 6.36 GB
SPD
Number Of SPD Modules 2
Slot #1
Type DDR3
Size 2048 MBytes
Manufacturer Kingston
Max Bandwidth PC3-10700 (667 MHz)
Slot #2

Type DDR3
Size 2048 MBytes
Manufacturer Kingston
Max Bandwidth PC3-10700 (667 MHz)

Motherboard (just in case hehe)

Manufacturer Sony Corporation
Model VAIO (N/A)
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model Havendale/Clarkdale Host Bridge
Chipset Revision 02
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model HM55

BIOS
Brand American Megatrends Inc.
Version R1170Y8

The laptop is starting to have heating probs as i used it for many hours a day [no gaming] so i'm gaining courage do clean it up inside [my flat is preaty dusty], add some new thermal paste and upgrade the RAM [this is the easy bit :D  ].

Thanks is advance.

More about : mix 2gb ram 4gb

January 29, 2013 11:23:57 PM

No you cannot. Both memory sticks are different brands different speeds and voltages. It can really screw up your computer.
a c 84 } Memory
January 30, 2013 10:50:33 AM

Kungpow said:
No you cannot. Both memory sticks are different brands different speeds and voltages. It can really screw up your computer.

Kungpow, you are wrong. You can mix the RAM with difference brand, speed, and timing, but in that case your RAM will run in the lowest speed and timing, and in the single channel mode.
Related resources
January 30, 2013 11:13:56 AM

Yes, you can do this. So long as the motherboard support both modules.

Do I recommend it? no.
a c 347 } Memory
January 30, 2013 1:14:13 PM

cin19 said:
Kungpow, you are wrong. You can mix the RAM with difference brand, speed, and timing, but in that case your RAM will run in the lowest speed and timing, and in the single channel mode.

Technically but in practical use I really don't recommend doing it. Way too many errors and problems to contend with mixing RAM especially different IC's and yes the full gamut of Frequency/CAS Timings/Voltage, etc.

DDR3 RAM is sooo cheap I'd simply get a decent 2x4GB kit and be done with it. Example - http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/Sony-memory/VAIO+VPCE+Se...

Also, you'll need a 64-bit OS to access >4GB of RAM which I believe is installed (Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit). Further, unless you're using ~75% of your memory and/or have 0 GB of 'Free' memory there's no reason to upgrade.
a c 347 } Memory
January 30, 2013 1:56:55 PM

^The OP said he doesn't game, so unless you're doing some 'render' or messing around with some huge database there's no point. For 'gaming' sure 8GB is a good choice. Keep in mind Hibernation including Hybrid-Sleep gets slower as you add more RAM...

Regarding 'heat' on a laptop its generally one of two reasons: 1. Poorly ventilated e.g. placing it on a pillow or bed; 2. Dust build-up. It's not a great idea to let fans spin from compressed air so I'd find a way to hold the fan e.g. small plastic straw or pushing in the air can's (straw) to stop the fan <or> dissemble the laptop but only if you read up on others doing it and or have some skill removing panels off (dissembling) your laptop.

/edit - the best way to speed-up your laptop is replacing (e.g. clone) the mechanical HDD with an SSD. Doing this will not only speed things up but will also extend its battery life.
February 6, 2013 11:31:25 PM

Thanks so much for all your replies.
I'm gonna save the money a buy both 4GB sticks at the same time.

Also i'm going repaste my laptop and buy a cooling pad as i hear extra RAM can increase temperature a tad more... i'ts already overheating as it's.
!