GSM Security

For those interested in the technical side of things, I've written an
article/paper on GSM security, basically describing how the ciphering,
authentication and confidentiality components work, as well as describe the
many flaws in these procedures/algorithms. UMTS is also discussed.

Appendix includes information on security settings for Australian GSM/UMTS
operators, as well as the details of A5/1 ciphering algorithm.

Can be found here:
http://www.ausmobile.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=getit&lid=8
(Zipped PDF)

-- regards
--Jeremy Quirke
http://www.ausmobile.com
3 answers Last reply
More about security

    Jeremy Quirke wrote:
    > For those interested in the technical side of things, I've written an
    > article/paper on GSM security, basically describing how the ciphering,
    > authentication and confidentiality components work, as well as describe the
    > many flaws in these procedures/algorithms. UMTS is also discussed.

    I think that is the best package of information I have ever seen on GSM
    security. Thanks! I'll be spreading the word out. :)

    --
    My computer security & privacy related homepage
    http://www.markusjansson.net

    On Sat, 01 May 2004 17:18:03 +1000, Jeremy Quirke wrote:

    > For those interested in the technical side of things, I've written an
    > article/paper on GSM security, basically describing how the ciphering,
    > authentication and confidentiality components work, as well as describe the
    > many flaws in these procedures/algorithms. UMTS is also discussed.
    > Can be found here:
    > http://www.ausmobile.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=getit&lid=8
    > (Zipped PDF)

    Can you make a non-zipped PDF version available that I can link to from
    http://www.gsm-security.net/gsm-security-papers.shtml ?

    Will
    Webmaster: http://www.gsmsecurity.com

    "Will Spencer" <will.spencer@gsmsecurity.com> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 01 May 2004 17:18:03 +1000, Jeremy Quirke wrote:
    >
    > > For those interested in the technical side of things, I've written an
    > > article/paper on GSM security, basically describing how the ciphering,
    > > authentication and confidentiality components work, as well as describe
    the
    > > many flaws in these procedures/algorithms. UMTS is also discussed.
    > > Can be found here:

    http://www.ausmobile.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=getit&lid=8
    > > (Zipped PDF)
    >
    > Can you make a non-zipped PDF version available that I can link to from
    > http://www.gsm-security.net/gsm-security-papers.shtml ?
    >
    > Will
    > Webmaster: http://www.gsmsecurity.com

    You're welcome to host the PDF if you want, alternatively the PDF itself is
    available in this folder: http://www.ausmobile.com/downloads/technical/

GSM Security