adding copyright-informations to Kodak PhotoCD-files

Last response: in Digital Camera
May 6, 2005 11:09:39 AM

Hi,

I have to give my shots (in Kodak PhotoCD-format)to a book
producer.
In order to be able to "identify" my files (for the case,
they would be used for an other purpose) i inserted my
real name with an editor in the header of the Kodak PCD file,
but now the PCD file cannot be opened again.

1.
Is there no way to add such "copyright-information" to
Kodak PhotoCD-files without corrupting the file?

2.
Any other ideas to be able to prove the ownership of such
files?

Any tip is apprechiated very much. Thank you!

John
May 6, 2005 3:49:45 PM

kodak@bluemail.ch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have to give my shots (in Kodak PhotoCD-format)to a book
> producer.
> In order to be able to "identify" my files (for the case,
> they would be used for an other purpose) i inserted my
> real name with an editor in the header of the Kodak PCD file,
> but now the PCD file cannot be opened again.
>
> 1.
> Is there no way to add such "copyright-information" to
> Kodak PhotoCD-files without corrupting the file?
>
> 2.
> Any other ideas to be able to prove the ownership of such
> files?
>

> Any tip is apprechiated very much. Thank you!
>
> John

Some image editing programs(including Paint Shop Pro, which I use)allow you to watermark a
picture for copyright purposes. A header is easy to remove, even accidentally.
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 12:41:08 AM

<kodak@bluemail.ch> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have to give my shots (in Kodak PhotoCD-format)to a book
> producer.

PCD is an unusual format to send to a publisher.
H.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 25, 2005 1:00:19 AM

"Marvin" <physchem@cloud9.net> wrote in message
> kodak@bluemail.ch wrote:
>>
> Some image editing programs(including Paint Shop Pro, which I use)allow
> you to watermark a picture for copyright purposes. A header is easy to
> remove, even accidentally.

BUT, you cannot save the newly-edited photo back in PCD format. I know of
no editing software that can save in PCD, although they can all READ that
format.

Only Kodak scanning equipment can write PCD files, and Kodak has
discontinued Photo CDs, essentially orphaning the format.

Those with PCD files would be well advised to migrate the files to other
formats before editing software stops reading those files. When FlashPix
was abandoned a few years ago (a format closely related to PCD) it wasn't
long before Adobe stopped supporting it in PhotoShop. I don't know about
other editing programs, but can the rest of the pack be far behind?

I remember Kodak saying on their web site that the PhotoCD had an
anticipated life of 100 years--and that your descendents could simply copy
the CD and the copy would be good for yet another 100 years!

I admit that I suspected, even then, that CDs would become obsolete well
before the passing of 100 years, but I did not think that the PCD format
would be discontinued by Kodak, well before the CD had become obsolete!
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 3:19:34 AM

ImageMagick (http://www.imagemagick.org) claims to be able to write PCD files.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org

Hi Jeremy,

I think the reference was to the actual CD as opposed to the format. It is
true, that if you kept the CD stored correctly, it should last for 100
years. You are right that the file was created at the time of the scan and
that it is not possible to return it to a PCD format. It was always intended
that you output the image to some other format.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

!