Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Instant power loss randomly

Last response: in Motherboards
January 29, 2013 11:48:54 PM

The reason why I posted in this thread, was that I read elsewhere what I have done has killed my motherboard. So here's the story. My motherboard says it can only handle 65w processor for the maximum. I asked my friend who knows more about hardware about installing my new processor a 125w into it, he said it won't hurt it the most that will happen is it won't turn on. So I tried it, and instead of running at 3.4ghz it was running at 647mhz. So I removed it and replaced the original. Now it just loses power between 2-8 minutes of running. Is there anything I can do to fix this or do I just need a new motherboard?
a c 85 V Motherboard
January 30, 2013 12:06:09 AM

could be just the cpu overheating.
Score
January 30, 2013 12:46:15 AM

Well I applied new thermal paste, and the fan is running on the cpu. since it is the original and i had no problem before I don't think thats the cause.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
January 30, 2013 1:18:14 AM

Applied the new thermal paste and heatsink fans running doesn't mean that it is seated properly.

Monitor ur CPU temperature using this program http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/seato...
January 30, 2013 2:42:48 AM

ttcboy said:
Applied the new thermal paste and heatsink fans running doesn't mean that it is seated properly.

Monitor ur CPU temperature using this program http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/seato...

I think maybe you gave me the wrong link because thats for drives not cpu. I will look into cpu programs though and let you know what I find.
Score
January 30, 2013 2:48:02 AM

I installed coretemp, the only things running on my computer was the web browser Google Chrome and I exited it once I downloaded the program. After install my temp was 80C , with only core processes running its stayed at 64C. Whenever It was losing power i was watching netflix. Could I have installed the heatsink improperly to cause this?
Score
January 30, 2013 4:45:38 PM

Im going to move this thread to the CPU section as I think thats what is the issue. Sorry for the wrong post guys.
Score
January 30, 2013 4:45:55 PM

Best answer selected by awwon.
Score
a b V Motherboard
January 30, 2013 5:22:49 PM

Too hot for sure. Make sure the heatsink is properly installed.
A normal desktop processor should not exceed around 70c during normal operation.
Score
a b V Motherboard
February 1, 2013 5:08:26 AM

awwon said:
I think maybe you gave me the wrong link because thats for drives not cpu. I will look into cpu programs though and let you know what I find.

Sorry for the wrong link, it was the link to test the HDD integrity. I was giving that link on the post before this one about testing the failing hard-drive and slow responses.

Suppose to be this one http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html.

Anyway, glad to hear the ur problem are solved.
Score
!