I7-2600 temps

G

Alright so here's my pc: http://www.amazon.com/Gateway-FX6860-UR20P-Gaming-Desktop-Black/dp/B0050JSJU4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top/183-8448844-1387407

Anyway, I had to send it in for replacement because the motherboard just randomly died after 3 months, but I got it back, and it was running really hot, so I removed the heat sink and replaced the thermal (the repair guys did an awful job) but I did the usual bead in the middle, then mashed it down and reattached the heat sink.

Now my idle temps are anywhere from 34-38C depending on the room temp, but under load, (Playing Battlefield 3) the CPU cores get to 64-65C, and my GPU is at 74-75C, are these temps normal? I think I did the thermal paste correctly, and I know the case is poor for airflow, but I figured I'd ask the professionals here for help, thanks for your time in advance.

Solution

To answer your question, both the stock CPU and GPU fans on this PC are variable and will self adjust speed depending on temp. This is why you can hear the device ramp up while playing games.

These Gateway gaming rigs are natorious for running hot under load. In most cases, due to a lack of airflow. Gateway often skimps on intake and exhaust fans. If you are missing the bottom front 120mm intake, rear 120mm exhaust, or both fans I recommend installing...
Our temperatures are good for the stock HSF (heatsink/fan) on the Intel® Core™ i7-2600. The Tcase for this processor is 72.6c and while this isnt a hard and fast temperature that you want to stay under it give you a good point to try to stay under. I have the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ with two fans and I am running about 5c to 7c degrees or more below your temperatures. So if you really want to push your temperatures down look into a good 3rd party cooler.

Christain Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

G

Thanks for the quick reply, I'm going to be looking into a third party cooler I guess, since mine is only stock, would you recommend turning the fan speed up at all? Or just leaving it what it's at now, I know when I'm playing games like BF3, the fans get pretty loud. Thanks.

Duanebs

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012

To answer your question, both the stock CPU and GPU fans on this PC are variable and will self adjust speed depending on temp. This is why you can hear the device ramp up while playing games.

These Gateway gaming rigs are natorious for running hot under load. In most cases, due to a lack of airflow. Gateway often skimps on intake and exhaust fans. If you are missing the bottom front 120mm intake, rear 120mm exhaust, or both fans I recommend installing them. The motherboards used in these boxes often have very few extra connections, so you may want to make sure the fans you get come with both a 3 pin connection and 4 pin molex adapter. I recommend http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103090&Tpk=sickleflow .

Your idle temps seem to be well within norms, and I'm willing to bet the reason your load temps are up there is due to ambient temperature. An aftermarket CPU cooler will only be so much help if you don't get some air moving through your case!

Solution