Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First Build Ever. Please read.

Last response: in Systems
December 18, 2011 4:59:42 PM

I am working on my first build, and to tell the truth, I am quite inexperienced in building PC's. I have looked at a lot of tutorials and watched a lot of videos, and I really want the experience and challenge of building one myself. I am going to be primarily using it for gaming, but will also need it for some school work and such. I don't want some super computer or anything, I just want a PC that could run games like Skyrim on high settings. Anyway, so my budget is around $800, and I have some parts picked out already. I am not sure of any of these parts because I do no know enough and that is why I am coming here for help. ANY suggestions, tips, or feedback would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I am only 14, but please don't let that get in the way, I can do just as well as an adult. So here are the parts I have chosen so far...

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

PSU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
(Now, I am not sure about this, I do not know much about overclocking, and some people have told me it's useless to get the i5 2500k if not planning to overclock. I am not sure about overclocking and not sure if I should OC or not, I really need some opinions on this.)

GPU: Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

RAM: Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL (Some people told me that I dont need 8GB, that I will need 4 at most, and I need opinions on this, I also heard that these RAM sticks wont fit, and will get in the way of other things, I I want to make sure they wont.)

Power Supply: Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Storage: Seagate Barracuda Green ST1500DL003 1.5TB 5900 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (I was originally going for the 1 TB version, but the 1.5 TB version is only $5 more.)

Optical Drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM

Motherboard: In my opinion, this is the hardest choice. I cant tell which are compatible with everything else, and I am asking for some suggestions.

I am also planning on buying a 200mm fan for the top of the case and a Hyper 212 Plus for the processor becuae I heard I needed it.

Well, those are the products that I selected so far and I'm pretty sure there are some better options to some of these, any suggestions are asked for and welcome. So that is my build so far, and I would like to save money where I can. Also, I need a real honest opinion. Should I really go for this, or should I just buy a pre-made one or make a iBuypower or Cyberpower PC? To tell the truth, I am really scared to mess something up and the whole thing gets messed up. So thank you in advance, especially to the ones that read this whole thing. Thanks guys!

EDIT: Almost forgot, I am also planning to connect to my router, what would I need for that? And would I need thermal paste? Also suggestions for anything else I might need would be nice.

More about : build read

Best solution

December 18, 2011 5:20:21 PM

We are not allowed to advise you about piracy here, don't even bother asking about that.

You should just pay the money for Windows 7. Try to get access to a student email account and Windows 7 Professional will only cost you $65 for a legal copy.

Don't bother OCing things, it is for people to do that have a lot of money to waste and a lot of time to waste.

The 2500k is not useless without OC, it is perfectly good without OC. There is nothing wrong with getting one now and considering whether or not to OC it later.

You don't need a hyper 212 if you aren't going to OC the processor. Just get a regular fan with the processor and save the money that the Hyper 212 costs. If you decide to OC later you will have the money saved and you can just spring for the purchase at that time.

6850 = fine

Antec 550w = fine

Seagate HD = fine

CD Drive = fine

HAF 912 = fine

Motherboard = Get this for $61 and free shipping from best buy

MSI Computer - H61M-P23 (B3) Desktop Motherboard - Intel - Socket H2 LGA-1155

RAM = Just get 2x 4GB 1333 from Crucial instead of what you chose. 8GB is the ideal number for using Windows 7 most of the time so don't shy away from getting it, its not that much more than 4GB and the extra capacity is useful.
December 18, 2011 5:57:02 PM

Quote:
I do not want to use Linux so I am thinking about pirating Windows. If Windows 7 is pirated, will all the settings still be the same? Or will I lose some important parts to it?

Do not use a pirated version of Windows 7 - you are asking for a whole world of trouble there. Buy an OEM disc of Home Premium for $99 and that will save you all the trouble from that.

Quote:

Motherboard = Get this for $61 and free shipping from best buy

MSI Computer - H61M-P23 (B3) Desktop Motherboard - Intel - Socket H2 LGA-1155

Why would you pair an $800 build with a $60 motherboard? No. I'd suggest going with a Z68 just to be on the safe side and future-proof the system.

Quote:
The 2500k is not useless without OC, it is perfectly good without OC. There is nothing wrong with getting one now and considering whether or not to OC it later.

If the OP isn't going to OC, why not go i5-2400 and save $60? Then he can use that to purchase the full version of Windows.

Quote:
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Green ST1500DL003 1.5TB 5900 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (I was originally going for the 1 TB version, but the 1.5 TB version is only $5 more.)

HD prices are absolutely ridiculous right now - hold off on this as it will seriously impact your budget. The HAF 912 makes adding drives really easy so you can always add more when they go down in price.

Try this:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 - $49.99
PSU: Corsair Builder Series CX600 - $69.99
Motherboard: Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 - $124.99
CPU: Intel Core i5-2400 - $189.99
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - $49.99
HD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500G - $99.99
Optical: Lite On 24X DVD Burner - $19.99
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 - $144.99
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - $33.99

Total: $877.83
Related resources
December 18, 2011 6:04:06 PM

I don't mind using a micro board in a $800 build. There is no reason to buy more motherboard than you need.

BTW, its just as illegal to buy a system builder copy of Windows 7 and not resell the computer as it is to pirate Windows 7. The system builder disks specifically say you have to sell the PC for the license to be legal.
December 18, 2011 6:28:27 PM

Raiddinn said:
I don't mind using a micro board in a $800 build. There is no reason to buy more motherboard than you need.

BTW, its just as illegal to buy a system builder copy of Windows 7 and not resell the computer as it is to pirate Windows 7. The system builder disks specifically say you have to sell the PC for the license to be legal.

Really? I didn't know that, all I've ever used is the system builder versions of Windows 7. I always thought it was legal to use if you're using the OS on that PC only, and not reselling it.
December 18, 2011 6:32:51 PM

Get the 2500K, you can learn to OC later. Make sure your mobo supports OCing. And the HD 6870 is really cheap right now. Only $10 more on NewEgg.
December 18, 2011 6:40:44 PM

NOTE: you should be aware of the following disclaimer before you decide to buy any OEM System Builder version.

Use of this OEM System Builder Channel software is subject to the terms of the Microsoft OEM System Builder License. This software is intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale. This OEM System Builder Channel software requires the assembler to provide end user support for the Windows software and cannot be transferred to another computer once it is installed. To acquire Windows software with support provided by Microsoft please see our full package "Retail" product offerings.

- Edit - Straight from the license agreement on System Builder OEM copies of Windows 7, in case it isn't clear.

http://oem.microsoft.com/public/worldwide/licensing/opc...

To distribute OEM System Builder software, you must be a System Builder and accept the
System Builder License. “System Builder” means an original equipment manufacturer, an
assembler, a refurbisher, or a software preinstaller that sells the Customer System(s) to a
third-party. OEM software may ONLY be distributed with a fully assembled computer system.

I don't know how any of that could be more clear.

- Edit 2-

Licensing for Hobbyists

There is a growing market for "do-it-yourself" home PC hobbyists who assemble PCs from components for their own use. Microsoft retail software licenses are the appropriate licenses for the do-it-yourself market. OEM System Builder software is not intended for this use, unless the PC that is assembled is being resold to another party

- Edit 3 -

g-unit1111 said:
Really? I didn't know that, all I've ever used is the system builder versions of Windows 7. I always thought it was legal to use if you're using the OS on that PC only, and not reselling it.

Ignorance is bliss.
December 18, 2011 6:48:43 PM

Thanks guys, that really cleared stuff up. And yes, I am going to buy Windows. Also, I have just noticed the combo packs on Newegg, they give you a whole bunch of different parts for a discounted price. Any of those worth it or work together with my parts? And if I want to connect to my wireless router, do I need to buy something like an adapter or does one already come built on the motherboard?
December 18, 2011 6:59:58 PM

In my experience, most desktop motherboards don't have wireless cards built in.

They are like $10 though.

I haven't looked at any of the Newegg combos lately, but I can say that they often are not worth taking. A lot of times you have to take sub-par parts as part of those deals, especially sub-par PSUs which is about the worst thing to be sub-par on.
December 18, 2011 7:17:35 PM

Raiddinn said:
In my experience, most desktop motherboards don't have wireless cards built in.

They are like $10 though.

I haven't looked at any of the Newegg combos lately, but I can say that they often are not worth taking. A lot of times you have to take sub-par parts as part of those deals, especially sub-par PSUs which is about the worst thing to be sub-par on.

What about thermal paste? Is it necessary? I heard it helps cool your PC greatly. And thanks man you've been a great help, is there any way to +rep you?
December 18, 2011 7:37:03 PM

Thermal paste is absolutely necessary. Even the basic stuff is good enough, but no system at all can do completely without any.

Your processor will melt if you don't use any, regardless of what else you do. The best cooling setup that can be built won't save a CPU with no $5 paste on it.

You can select some answer as the best one if you want to give me reputation points. The points won't be different regardless which one you pick.

- Edit -

Due to how important the cooling system is, I would suggest you take 15 or 20 minutes to read these

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-airflow-hea...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-air-pressur...
December 18, 2011 7:54:18 PM

Best answer selected by HomemadeChair.
!