Sign in with
Your question

New pc for around 5000€

Last response: in Systems
December 18, 2011 5:37:30 PM

I hawe been saving for along time and hawent staid update for the hardware.

so i need allitle help from you guys to choose out my new pc parts.

Here is what i want and dont want.

I want:
AMD based pc, no nvidia or intel.
the posibility to overclock (alot)
crossfire
ability to update parts whit ease in the future
atleast 3tb storage

i alredy got a screen so thats not needed.

what i dont want.
nvidia and intel cpus/graphics card's
SSD's
raid
screen (alredy hawe one)

thanks for your time and help i apriciate it.

-Termos

More about : 5000

December 18, 2011 5:44:05 PM

Hi there, welcome to the forums.

First things first. Did you mean 5000€ or 500€?
Why no Intel CPU's? Intel is currently the leader when it comes to high end parts. I can't with a good conscience recommend an AMD CPU on such a high budget. It would bottleneck horrendously.

Second, please fill out this form: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic... gives more information about your needs, which will help us build you a better machine.

I'll get back to you ;) 
December 18, 2011 5:49:04 PM

You want budget parts on a 5000 euro budget, did I read that right?

Get two of PowerColor 6850 x2 (2 processors on one card, 4 total processors) and CF them

You have the money to waste, you could just try to go with 4x 6990s too.

An 1100T should be fine as a processor.

There should be a Sabretooth board that will handle all that. You should be able to go with 4x 8GB (32) Ram sticks.

You could probably even squeeze in a $1000 CPU cooler in there somewhere with dry ice / frozen helium or some craziness like that.

Make sure to get a good case like HAF X and max out all the fan slots.
Related resources
December 18, 2011 6:08:07 PM

Raiddinn said:
You want budget parts on a 5000 euro budget, did I read that right?

Get two of PowerColor 6850 x2 (2 processors on one card, 4 total processors) and CF them

You have the money to waste, you could just try to go with 4x 6990s too.

An 1100T should be fine as a processor.

There should be a Sabretooth board that will handle all that. You should be able to go with 4x 8GB (32) Ram sticks.

You could probably even squeeze in a $1000 CPU cooler in there somewhere with dry ice / frozen helium or some craziness like that.

Make sure to get a good case like HAF X and max out all the fan slots.

+1
And got to be some scope for diamonds.
December 18, 2011 7:02:02 PM

If i am right amd ust released the bulldozer cores' why woud you prefer the phenom?`

and yeah i know that amd isnt as good as intel but they are moutch more price friendly even though i got an insane amont of money to puke in this pc i still want to save something.

and 4 6950's? isnt it only 2 that is posible?

and is it possible to hawe a closed liquid nitrogen colling system? us asking for they hawe got the bulldozer core up to 8 ghz whit liquid nitrogen.

and if i went for intel what woud you supose for me?

thanks for the feedback though

-Termos
December 18, 2011 7:04:29 PM

and btw the monitor im using is 2560x1200 or something like that. and dosent a mobo manufacturer hawe a 2 proccesor motherbord?

and i wudnt be needing more than 16 gb's of ram
December 18, 2011 7:06:49 PM

I said 6990s. I am pretty sure that they have 2x CF slots. If so, you just go
1 + 2 in slot 1
3 + 4 in slot 1
2 + 3 in slot 2

I prefer the Phenom 2 x6s because they are generally considered to be superior to the Bulldozer processors.

Bulldozer was pretty much an immediate flop.
December 18, 2011 7:09:54 PM

termos said:
and btw the monitor im using is 2560x1200 or something like that. and dosent a mobo manufacturer hawe a 2 proccesor motherbord?

and i wudnt be needing more than 16 gb's of ram

I just tried to find ways to waste $5000 euros with budget parts.

If you want to adjust your budget downward to some more realistic figure like 1500 euros then you could have a nearly as good system as far as gaming is concerned and save $3500 euros.

The only reason to ever suggest 4x 6990s to somebody is if they refuse to use NVIDIA cards and they have an effectively infinite budget.
December 18, 2011 7:10:33 PM

hmm okay. so no bulldozer for this build. and soory i missread you ;p

but isnt there a motherboard called sr2? or something that can handle two intel proccesors?.

and will i be able to play bf3 and skyrim and possible other high end games in the near and far future on maximum graphics including AA

on a tripple 2560x1200 screen setup if i decide for eyefinity?

and i realy thank you guys for your help :) 

-termos
December 18, 2011 7:15:09 PM

Raiddinn said:
I just tried to find ways to waste $5000 euros with budget parts.

If you want to adjust your budget downward to some more realistic figure like 1500 euros then you could have a nearly as good system as far as gaming is concerned and save $3500 euros.

The only reason to ever suggest 4x 6990s to somebody is if they refuse to use NVIDIA cards and they have an effectively infinite budget.

so if i decide to drop down to about 2000€ that woud be more of a likley solution to save money and still hawe a good and extreme good pc for all in the house and still be able to edit HD 3D videos and play games on max?
December 18, 2011 7:26:03 PM

3x huge monitors with eyefinity on ultra graphics with 4x AA can drag even the most powerful setups to their knees.

There are boards that have multiple processor slots, but they afaik are all server boards that use ECC ram and I doubt any of them have 4x graphics card slots too.

I could be wrong, that is just IIRC.
December 18, 2011 7:29:43 PM

anyways so if i decide to go for 2 6990's a phenom II x6 1100T and 16GB of ddr 3 ram at 2000 mhz and a motherboard and psu that wil supor all this that woud run me about 2-2500 €? or woud i hawe enghu money for 2 or that and one lover end pc?

-Termos
December 18, 2011 7:34:30 PM

You can either get 2x high end systems with 1 monitor for 2500 euros each

OR

Get one ultra high end system with 3 monitors with eyefinity and hope that it will play high end games with max settings, even though its hard to build anything that can handle this regardless of how much you spend.
December 18, 2011 8:14:09 PM

The board you pointed out is a server board meant for Xeon processors and some ungodly amount of RAM and one video card would take up a minimum of 3 slots on that thing. Sure it has 6 but you can only use 2.

It would hold 2 processors, though.
December 18, 2011 9:00:25 PM

Raiddinn said:
The board you pointed out is a server board meant for Xeon processors and some ungodly amount of RAM and one video card would take up a minimum of 3 slots on that thing. Sure it has 6 but you can only use 2.

First, yes it is meant for Xeon processors but it is not meant for a server, it is meant for a pc. Second, watercool the GPUs and you can fit 4 which is all what matters at the moment. This is getting off topic...someone needs to set him up with a new PC thats overkill for everything he will want to do...
December 18, 2011 9:06:33 PM

Xeon processors are targeted at the server market and the workstation market (things like AutoCAD), not the home PC gaming market.

You can go ahead and set him up with a liquid cooled 4x video card setup if you want to.
December 18, 2011 9:37:44 PM

Yes, I understand the fact that the processor is geared towards the server market, but the mobo is not, it just so happens to require the Xeon processor to get top of the line parallel processing.

Straight from the maker, nothing about using it for servers is mentioned...
http://www.evga.com/articles/00537/

I'm not setting him up with anything...you seemed to be the one throwing out options. I just wanted to point out the SR2 that he mentioned. It is Intel, so no good for him. I don't touch AMD CPUs...
December 18, 2011 9:50:23 PM

If you've waited this long - at least wait till the new AMD GPUs come out. I also feel for you not to consider Intel is ridiculous. Ivy bridge will be out soon - this will make a computer that will kick-ass for games but also shine for anything else you can throw at it.
-Bruce
December 18, 2011 10:58:55 PM

^+1
Agreed. Intel dominates AMD in the CPU market and with his budget, it just makes no sense, and this is why I know nothing about AMD CPUs because Intel is the better CPU.
December 19, 2011 8:23:18 AM

The best Intel processors are better than the best AMD processors, nobody really disputes that.

However, if you have a certain dollar amount to spend, the better processor to buy with that dollar amount becomes a whole lot less clear.

People pay a hefty price premium just to have an Intel sticker on there. For two mostly equivalent processors you could pay 150 for the AMD and 170 for the Intel, that is $20 just for the sticker. For a lot of people it doesn't make sense.

Kinda like how you pay 50% or 100% more to buy Apple hardware vs regular PC hardware. Not everyone wants to pay $2000 for a $1000 computer + a $1000 apple logo sticker. Some people want to and some don't. I am one of those people that will never pay $1000 for a sticker.

I need to get the most bang for my buck, not to pay the most bucks and get the most bang, so I have a history of buying AMD video cards and I recently got my first AMD processor and I haven't been disappointed in the bangs/buck department.

Anyone on a low budget should seriously consider AMD/ATI parts, because they dominate the low cost high value segment.

- Edit - This is kinda OT, but I can't abide people saying that Intel is purely better than AMD. With the OPs budget I would go with an Intel processor, but his requirements include no Intel, so that is why I didn't suggest it. I do think it is kind of sad that many people are cutting down the OP for his choices, though. If he wants a certain thing, we should try to give him what will make him happy, not tell him he is stupid for wanting that thing. Education is good, cutdowns are bad.
December 19, 2011 1:05:54 PM

Hmm. the reson for me not choosing nvidia or intel is beacuse they are both overprized.

regardless of my money amount i dont want to use more money for less hardware.

and besides i hawe never had an intel or nvidia homebuilt pc.

i dont know if they are realy good or realy bad for the money i pay but it seems like i can save like atleast 300 bucks for a phenom II x6 vs quad core I7.

i think that is bullshit.

and if i was going for the sr2? and get 2 xeons in there. that woud cost me the same to amd where i coud buy two 16 core system's.

if i am wrong amd is the only cpu manufacturer that produces 16 core procesors.

and why cant i use a server pc whit some decent graphics card to game on? i hawe never got that beacuse server pc's are far more powerful in the cpu area but crappy at the gpu.
December 19, 2011 1:30:30 PM

Server boards aren't really designed to have graphics cards in them. They are designed for maximum processing power because that is what matters for most servers.

You should be able to stick a graphics card in one and it should physically fit, but the motherboard drivers may not even be designed to support them.

If you look on the evga 2x Xeon board that was posted all 6 of the slots are right there together back to back. You couldn't even put the bare minimum passive cooling heat sinks on the small chips on them and have them fit with another card in the next slot. Even if you could there would be no airflow.

I don't figure you could get more than 2 cards in the whole 6 slots while still allowing for airflow.

Someone else talked about liquid cooling the video cards and I don't have much experience with that, but I am somewhat skeptical about being able to fit a liquid cooled video card in one slot.

Anyway, the point is just that these boards aren't designed for gaming.

Even if gaming on a server board were doable I wouldn't suggest anyone try it unless they had a lot of money and time and they didn't care if it was completely wasted.

In a practical sense, the most limiting factor for high end gaming systems (in my opinion) is the cooling system. If someone were to go with 4x 590s on any board made there would probably be next to no breathing room for 3 of them.

Getting enough air in there for them to breathe would be a significant hurdle.

Most of the 590s I have seen have one center fan stock which is the loudest setup and which makes it the hardest to remove the heat from the PC. The best would be one fan on the far end that blows across the whole card and straight out the back but I haven't seen any 590s like that.

Others like a 3 fan setup would cool the card better but that would still be a dispersal system keeping the heat internal rather than helping to remove it.

Even then, it would be hard no matter which of those were used to get the air to the fans. The cards would be back to back with little room for air suction between them, leaving the top 3 cards probably with pretty high temps.

4x 6990s would be no different.

Most people would probably be well advised to go with a beastly intel 3960 in order to try to not have the processor overloaded by the video cards and to stick a fat CPU cooler on it.

You would probably want 5 fans in and 6+ fans out with such a system which would be another hurdle to jump over.

Anyway, I would rather see people get a much more manageable setup myself. 1500 euros should be able to handle the internals and another few hundred should handle the externals.
!