Which mobile for overclocking?

TheinsanegamerN

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
Hi everyone!
I am getting a asus k53ta laptop, and was wondering, which cpu would be better for overclocking? would the a6-3400m be fine? or would the a4-3300m, which is a dual core, get better results, even though they have the same TDP? my 2 main concerns are core speed and heat production (laptop has dedicated GPU) would the a4 run cooler?

Anonymous_26

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
I really don't think you can overclock a laptop, since pretty much all laptops are OEM most have a locked Bios. Even if you could somehow hack it to overclock it wouldn't be a good idea. Laptops don't have the cooling that desktops have. If you don't get third degree burns on your lap and legs it won't take long to burn out your hardware from overheating.

xxyougotownedzz

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011

Some really high end Gaming/Workstation notebooks like Eurocom's and others can. But in the reasonable price range (still not cheap) some of the higher en MSI gaming notebooks can overclock. Althought i would not recommend you do it.

Anonymous_26

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Either way it's not worth it. Those few that can are really expensive and like I said even if you could I wouldn't because a laptop doesn't have the cooling a desktop has. It probably wouldn't take long to burn out hardware from overheating.

TheinsanegamerN

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
Ok, guys. AMD fusion laptop CPU's are unlocked. you can overclock them using k10 stat. look here :http://slappablog.com/2011/12/08/laptop-llano-sabine-overclocking-guide-a4-3300m-a6-3400m-a8-3500m/

also, no one has answered my question.

chris2341

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012

If it is an unlocked CPU that is one thing, however like everyone else has said I and very much agree with there is no way the Hardware would be able to stay cool enough to run stable without seriously shortening the life span of your pc. I would look into a higher end CPU, most likely and intel if you can afford it and just dont worry about overclocking. However in the end it is your choice.

Anonymous_26

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Even if it is an unlocked processor that doesn't mean anything if the BIOS doesn't allow you to overclock. I could put a 2500k in an OEM computer but just because it's an unlocked processor I still wouldn't be able to overclock it because the BIOS firmware won't allow it. Same thing here. Even if he does put an unlocked processor in the laptop he most likley won't be able to overclock it because again most laptops have a locked BIOS.

TheinsanegamerN

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
GUYS! LISTEN TO ME! none of you are answering me! other people have overclocked on this laptop, and it works! the overclocking is done with k10stat, in the OS. you adjust the turbo frequency, and the laptop sees a faster processor. the chips adjust clock speed continuously. NOW, someone answer my freaking question. I dont want to hear anymore "you cant overclock" bullcrap.

chris2341

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012

No one has said that you cant overclock, just that we dont recommend it or see how the benefits outweigh the negatives.

Personally if you can afford go for an intel chip and dont worry about overclocking because in the long run it will last longer and therefore be more bang for your buck

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
What you should be more worried about is the extra heat generated by overclocking. Remember, laptops usually only have passive cooling or one small fan and still they get hot under extended use.

Most likely you'll be damaging your battery with the extra heat not to mention the laptop will go over the cooling specs and get hot.....

As others say. The cons far outweigh any possible benefits from overclocking.

TheinsanegamerN

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
NO MORE TALKING ABOUT OVERHEATING AND CRAP! FOR PETE's SAKE, STOP! UNLESS YOU ARE GOING TO ANSWER MY QUESTION, WHICH CPU WOULD RUN COOLER, DO NOT RESPOND!
sigh.... I know what I am doing. Oh, BTW, I have the a6-3400m clocked at 2.4GHz currently, and undervolted, and it maxes out at 45 Celsius after 2 hours of prime 95. that will undoubtedly drop when I apply some arctic silver 5. gotta love k10 stat. now, please just answer my initial question, and don't talk about anything else. I'm fed up with this.

Sorry for all the uninformed comments.

The Sabine (Mobile Llano) APU's overclock extremely well. Their the exact same die as their desktop cousins. The only think that will hold you back is the cooling solution of the notebook you have.

I have an HP-DV6 with the A8-3530MX. At stock its 1.9Ghz / 2.6Ghz (boost). With K10 I've been able to overclock / undervolt it. Can run CB11 benchmark without crashing at 2.6Ghz on all cores but it gets ridiculously hot and I'm sure it would eventually shut down as the notebook's cooling couldn't push enough air. 2.1~2.2ghz at 100% utilization on all four cores is possible if your cooling can handle it.

To everyone who is scratching their heads. The mobile Llano's are unique in that not only are they unlocked but all their P states are also unlocked. You can specify the bus speed, multiplier and voltage for each and every power state. You can change how aggressive it tries to stay at B0/P0 and what it's response time is for up / down clocking. This is a tweakers CPU.

Stock,

B0: Boosted State (2.6Ghz default)
P0: Standard State (1.9Ghz default)
P1: 1.7Ghz
P2: 1.6Ghz
P3: 1.4Ghz
P4: 1.2Ghz
P5: 1Ghz
P6: 800Mhz

You OC it by bringing P0 to 2.6, this way the laptop will constantly try to maintain 2.6Ghz and only lower to P1 when it's heat is over a certain threshold. You set P1 to 1.9Ghz but leave P2 and below alone. You reduce the voltage on P1 through P6 so to reduce power draw when not needing max speed. You can also use K10 to lock it into a certain P state, that is how I forced it to run 2.6Ghz x 4 on cinebench 11.5 and get a high score. You can safely lock individual cores to P states and combined with windows processor affinity you can force certain programs to run at 2.6Ghz constantly.

To the OP, go with A6, the higher the better. You want those four cores. Try to get a MX chip so you can use the 1600 memory. An A8-3530MX or 3550MX would be your absolute best option.

Problem is you have people giving advice without knowing the CPU he's referring to and giving bad advice at that.

When we say "overclock" we're referring to modifying the P states to create a more aggressive turbo-boost while also undervolting the lower P states to increase battery life. You can do some pretty crazy things with the mobile APU's and that is why the OP is asking about it. He's wanting someone who has actually used these before to give advice on better options and so forth. It's become a popular niche amongst some people to see how far they can push these mobile APU's. We've seen a 3530MX at 3.0Ghz (its a 1.9Ghz CPU) after someone resilvered the die and created better ventilation. Their just downclocked desktop APUs and can run at the exact same speed if appropriate cooling is provided, which it rarely is.

My answer, get the A8-3510/3530/3550MX and have fun. Awesome little chip.