holykalo

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
I'm currently looking at cpu options for building a desktop computer for gaming. I was originally thinking of the i5 2500k (and will still purchase it if needed), but was told that the 8120 would also be a viable option, and save me a little bit of money I can use to justify a gtx 570. I already know my other parts, and in the end, I want to be able to crossfire two 570s and use them to their full abilities. I just want to know if the 8120 will be able to do that, or if my money will be better spent on the 2500k.

Edit: Any other recommendations would be nice, gaming is the most demanding thing I will EVER use this pc for. I just want a second opinion from experience, I know how to google charts and benchmarks already ;) Though any help you are willing to give is welcome.

Solution
The quick answer is the I5 2500K. It just can't be beat in gaming for price to performance. Clock for clock the Bulldozer really can't compete with the Sandy Bridges.

Anonymous_26

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
I use to like AMD and would usually take a Phenom II over some of the older Intel processors but the Athelon II, Phenom II and now Bulldozer really can't compete with Sandy Bridges. People say AMD is good for a cheap build but I could build a computer around an I3 with a Z68 motherboard and minimum parts and still have a great computer. It would probably be better then an AMD Bulldozer in most programs (non heavily threaded programs).