Sign in with
Your question

New cpu&M/b. windows 8 reinstall HELP!

Last response: in Motherboards
January 30, 2013 9:04:11 AM

Well the cat is here where Im about to install My new motherboard(asrock extreme 4) and new cpu(3570k) and swap out my old amd setup. I recently bought windows 8 pro and I'm frightened that once i try a fresh install with my new hardware that activation wont work. I've saved up for a while to change over from my amd setup(asrock 870 extreme 3 phennom 975be) and I really cant afford to have to buy windows 8 again! I've lost the intel back plate for my rad also so I'm going to have to fork out more money for a new one which has got me stressed and I'm not even sure If my 16gb of ram(corsair 1333 xms) will work in my new m/b, so I may even need to replace that also. Please can someone help me out a bit with the fresh install of windows 8 and ease my mind. I have been told that it shouldn't be a problem but after reading about it on the net I heard that I may have issues. Any help would be very much welcomed.

More about : cpu windows reinstall

January 30, 2013 9:25:18 AM

Make a fresh windows 8 install then do this:

Use regedit to go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OOBE

Change MediaBootInstall from 1 to 0

Then run this in an elevated command prompt:
slmgr -rearm

And reboot.
January 30, 2013 9:52:29 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. Ill defo try that as soon as i do a fresh install if I have activation problems. So your thinking my activation wont automatically work?
January 30, 2013 10:53:31 AM

bigirishman said:
Thanks for the quick reply. Ill defo try that as soon as i do a fresh install if I have activation problems. So your thinking my activation wont automatically work?

It's my understanding that the first batch of windows 8 is supposed to be installed over a legitimate windows 7 or xp. And you have to use cd key from your old os, that's the way windows 8 has to be installed.
Related resources
!