Flashing 6950

empier1988

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
I recently purchased 2 gigabyte 6950s after research led be to believe the flashing was phased out because the switches had been removed...I now found out that the SAPPHIRE 6950 can still be flashed. 2 questions...would it be worth my time to return the 2 gigabyte ones i just got to buy these (aka whats the real fps difference between the 2 at 1680x1050) and is there any way to flash the gigabyte 6950 being that it doesnt have the bios switch

gelde3001

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2007
I wouldnt bother returning them for a different model with the switch on as you can still flash those with the right program anyway. The only thing the swiitch gives you is the chance to load 2 different bios's on the one card which if your cards can open up to full caymans (6970) then there really is no need as if everythig fails you can setup a bootcd with scripting to auto flash the cards if needs be, or use a good old pci card to boot from and then reflash.

From what I understand now only a very few 6950 gpus cant unlock the shaders or clock higher anyway so Id say get the right bios and give it a go on ONE then test - then the other card after. That way if one works fine the odds are the 2nd will too, if not then yiou can use the other to flash the first back assuming they are both installed and NOT connected with the bridge.

gelde3001

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2007
Actually any card is flashable but you might be right on the bios switch due to memory count......in that case use a modder and either unlock the shaders by downloading the original vga bios and editing it and then the clock speeds and reflashing with the modded bios or just take what you have as 1gb cards are actually slightly faster than the 2gb ones and even if unlocked to 6870 you are talking no more than 10% better performance anyway.

Point blank either go nuts on them (easy with the right programs and time) or just accept that in either case 2x 6950's are a VERY good combo for anything available for the next couple years !.

I personally have a lowly 5770 1gb single card and it still manages to game flat out at 1650x1080 res with EVERY SINGLE game out there - that also means the rather buggy RAGE......although that console port isnt much of a real test as mr carmak went back and thought of a way to make it work full stop rather than being a lazy ass programmer who cant be bothered to work and rely on hardware to do his job. (also why he likes openGL as opposed to the *** DX). much like mr molyneux did with the original magic carpet engine which was realtime on a bloody 486 ffs......anyway.

I really wouldnt worry about what you have as you have something that is approx the best of the best assuming you in xfire now. Frankly unless you are up or ove 4mp res your cards will rule, although tbh also only one would be fine too !. Relax - enjoy and mod if you want to but dont feel you should, although......modding / overclocking is fun to get away with !.