Not able to edit my posts?

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Hello,

I am relative new on this forum and not really sure what is supposed to be possible. However, my problem (or question) is if I am supposed to be able to edit my own posts?

When I use the edit button I get to an edit post page and can make my changes, but when doing submit I get a message like this: "You are not allowed to edit this message!".

Until very recently I could access this forum part at all. When going to the forum feedback part it was just blank.

Solution
Yep, you're in the UK forum.

Go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc and add this to your Host file.
208.48.161.101 www.tomshardware.com

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Because you are in Sweden, there may be some IP strangeness going on as far as re-routing you to the UK site. If you signed up and registered with on the UK site, be sure you are posting and editing posts on the UK site. Hopefully that will fix your issue.

I've been booted into the UK forum a few times lately. I also had a PM from another member with the same issue. It seems to be something that creeps up once in a while.

Look in the top right corner of the browser. Make sure the correct flag is displayed.

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

Do you mean ip routing in the sense of routing of the actual packets or some kind of blacklisting or similar? I do not think there is a routing problem in the classic way since everything else works fine and the error I get is not a "page not found", but a logical software message from the site.

As for the UK site or not, I have to be honest and say I do not know what I signed up to, but when I access the site I go to tomshardware.com, and after signing in (and now when writing) I see the the URL is ... tomshardware.co.uk. I just tried to edit my first message in this thread just to check, but I got this message:

"You are not allowed to edit this message!"

At the moment I see the british and irish flag, to the left is the text "Tom's Hardware Worldwide". I am not sure which flag should be displayed?

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

I could do that, but it does seems a bit strange. What is the reason for the connection hostname - IP - editing of posts?

Just want to know that such a system change is necessary, as it is kind of "hard" work-around that is difficult to maintain when working from other computers et cetera, and could cause problems if the main site changes it IP and similar. Preferably I does not want to change the hosts file but rely on dns.

By the way, the quick edit feature works, but not the main edit. :pt1cable: ;)

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Thanks. I will have to think about it however if it would be worth the increased complexity.

Is this an expected/known bug when using the site from outside UK? Should I have done the signing up in any different way?

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

I am not sure which mirror I should (or did) signed in on, but it still seems odd that all normal posting works fine including thread starting, best answer selection and even quick edit, but not just editing. Anyway, bugs is not always logical. :)

Is this a phenomenon that also could go away, as you mention that it creeps up once in a while?

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

I just did some quick dns checks:

The com. top level domain redirects tomshardware.com. to two servers, ns2.ayzo.net and ns3.ayzo.net. If asking any of those for the A record for www.tomshardware.com the answer seems to always be 212.73.209.9.

However, when looking at the SOA record for the zone it indicates that ns0.ayzo.net holds the primary copy of the tomshardware.com zone and when asking the zone at that name server directly it will roundrobin the answers for www.tomshardware.com between these four:

One of those was the one you recommended in the hosts file.

From the outside it is hard to tell if there is anything wrong with this, but perhaps there could be a misconfiguration of the other two nameservers IF they are supposed to alternate between the four servers.

TRENDING THREADS