Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Thinking about upgrading my system need advice

Last response: in Systems
December 18, 2011 9:37:18 PM

First off sorry if this is the wrond section I haven't posted on these boards in ages so I'm not quite familar with where I should be putting this stuff.

My main thing I'm going to upgrade probably in the two weeks really isn't computer realted but I'm going to be upgrading my desk and computer chair. That's the biggest thing I need to do because I can't really use my PC for long periods of time without my wrists and back starting to bug me. So what kind of suggestions do you guys have for a computer desk and chair? I need something that'll be comfortable for gaming and also I'm an online student full time studying game design so I'll be on the computer probably about 30 hours or more a week once school starts.

The onther thing I'm going to be upgrading is my mouse and keyboard. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be going with the Logitech G510 or G19 for the keyboard which one would you guys prefer over the other? As for mice I really haven't looked at them yet but my current mouse is the Logitech MX510 and I love it but sadly it's starting to show its age so it's time for an upgrade.

As for the rest of my specs they are as follows

Intel Core i7 950 LGA 1366
6GB OCZ DDR3 RAM
EVGA Nvidia GTX 470 (single GPU)
Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty Titanium Soundcard
EVGA X58 SLI 3 Motherboard
10x LG Blu-ray Burner
24X Asus DVD Burner
Zboard Keyboard
Logitech MX510 Mouse
Samsung SyncMaster 2232BW+ Monitor

So any other upgrade suggestions would be apperciated also I should note that I'm not really interested in going with a SSD right now.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 18, 2011 10:00:49 PM

Hi there! Welcome to the forums.

Hmm. If you're a gamer, get rid of that 470! It looks sloowwww compared to the rest of your system. Maybe add another for SLI?

I'm not going to give furniture advice (yes I am. Ikea, nuff said ;)  ) So let's move on to mice/keyboards.

Keyboards. I LOVE mech keyboards. They are AMAZING. If you're tossing down $100+ on a keyboard it should be a mech. The Razer Blackwidow is a good board (Mechanical, backlit) But a bit expensive. Rosewill has a Cherry MX board on Newegg for ~$90.

Mice! I love me some mice.
-People swear by Razers. I've used one, they are nice. The Deathadder is probably the best bet there. But hey, there's billions of mice out there! Maybe just another MX518?
Score
December 18, 2011 10:40:54 PM

Thanks for the info Striker I'll probably hold off on SLI and just upgrade to Nvidia's 600 series once that hits in the Spring.

As for furniture I've been suggested Ikea before but unfortunatly I don't have any near me the only thing I have is Staples and Office Max and I'd prefer to look at the desk in person before buying just to see if I like it.

I'll look into those keyboards you suggested.
Score
Related resources
December 19, 2011 1:56:37 AM

As for the chair I can't remember where I got mine, I think costco was around $200, don't cheap out on your chair though, it's where you'll spend a lot of time.

As for keyboard and mouse, same thing, this is not just about gaming, but comfort.
I personally have Razer Blackwidow Ultimate and Razer Mamba. I, like gvamp, will swear by mechanical keyboards (the only downside to this keyboard is it's USB, although never have yet encountered ghosting issues with it) and this mouse is really good, I went from a Logitech G5 to the Mamba and I love it (my biggest issue with it is it's too light, my G5 had weights lol) it is very responsive although you need a good surface to truly utilize all it's potential. (Hence if your getting a good mouse, get a good mouse pad please!)
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
December 19, 2011 2:22:50 AM

^Good to see you maliken. Last time we met was a discussion about Bitcoin was it not? How's that going?
Excellent point about the mousepad, please buy one. They make a difference. I too have used a mamba, it's not worth the $120 (in my opinion, my opinion only) I'd prefer the $45 Deathadder. But hey, all Razer mice are damned good!

Score
a b B Homebuilt system
December 19, 2011 2:51:00 AM

2463636,3,684887 said:
Thanks for the info Striker I'll probably hold off on SLI and just upgrade to Nvidia's 600 series once that hits in the Spring.

nvidia is going to bypass the 600 series and go straight for the 700 series.... so it'll be a longer wait.
Score
December 19, 2011 3:27:40 AM

Thanks for the information swifty I guess I will hunt down another GTX470 or maybe go with a 500 series GPU any recommendations for that? Better yet what's going to be the cheaper route going with another GTX 470 or going with a 500 series GPU?
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
December 19, 2011 12:24:42 PM

I'd imagine adding another 470 will be the cheapest route. That said the 470's are a power hog. What kinda PSU you rocking?
Score

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
December 19, 2011 1:50:54 PM

I bought a nice chair at my nearby OfficeMax for ~$220. Make sure to get one of the "Endurance" chairs that are made for sitting 7+ hours a day. They tend to have the best support and are extremely comfortable :D 

As for a keyboard, I'd take a look at mechanical keyboards with Cherry MX switches (do a google and you usually find a list). The Cherry MX Blues are noisy but are generally highly recommended for people who do a LOT of typing (secretaries, etc.) because they have great feel and are nice to use.

The Razer BlackWidow Ultimate uses Blues, as do several others like the Filco Tenkeyless, DasKeyboard, and Ione Xarmor boards.

I have a Cyborg RAT 5 mouse and absolutely love it. I would definitely break for the RAT 7 if I had the money when I got mine, because it is entirely adjustable. You can adjust the palm, thumb, and pinky rests, in addition to the weight. Couple this with a good mouse pad (I prefer metal because these mice just fly on it) and you've got one of the most comfortable mouse setups anywhere :) 
December 20, 2011 2:40:27 AM

striker410 said:
I'd imagine adding another 470 will be the cheapest route. That said the 470's are a power hog. What kinda PSU you rocking?

1100Watt Xion PSU it had rave reviews on Newegg so I got it.

Thanks for the info boiler I'll look into those chairs when I go get one I'm defiently not going to cheap out on a chair or desk.
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
December 20, 2011 2:47:03 AM

You can handle another 470 for sure lol.
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
December 20, 2011 3:23:46 AM

You could definitely have 4; I had 3 470s on my 950TX and still had headroom ;) 
Score
December 20, 2011 4:53:59 AM

striker410 said:
^Good to see you maliken. Last time we met was a discussion about Bitcoin was it not? How's that going?
Excellent point about the mousepad, please buy one. They make a difference. I too have used a mamba, it's not worth the $120 (in my opinion, my opinion only) I'd prefer the $45 Deathadder. But hey, all Razer mice are damned good!

Hey hey, yeah I remember that vaguely, I stopped mining actually, sold all my blade servers, gaming rigs, house, cars... Ah the joys of divorce I say, I needed the change. How are things for you?

On the 120$, sure the mouse is not that much more than that, but that little more to me is worth that much. I spend an average of 4 hours a day on my computer (although this is going down and down), for work and leisure, I better have a good mouse.
Score
January 2, 2012 11:14:13 PM

Best answer selected by gvamp.
Score
!