New build bios setup/flashing.

dndrsn

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
I will be building a system with my daughter for her Christmas present. I think we will be able to handle the assembly but I have some questions for setting up afterward. She does some gaming but it is mostly graphics and rendering that she is doing in her college work.

My question is setting up the bios after the build. Will I need to update the motherboard? Adjust the ram volts and speed?
Are they any bugs with the motherboard we should be concerned with. Just generally the things we should do before installing Windows 7 Pro 64bit.

Below are the components I have purchased. Thanks in advance.

Corsair Hydro Series H80 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (CWCH80)

Intel Core i7-2600K Processor

PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series

Hitachi Deskstar 3.5' 2TB 7200RPM SATA III 32MB Cache Internal Hard Drive 0S02861

EVGA GeForce GTX 580

Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B

ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe

Crucial Technology 128GB m4 SSD 2.5" SSD

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced Case

LITE-ON Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 8MB Cache SATA 12X Blu-ray Burner

Ultra U12-40841 X4 Gold Edition Modular Power Supply - 1000W

Thanks again

Petrofsky

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
Don't flash the BIOS unless you absolutely have no choice. It's not like updating a driver.

The RAM and CPU settings are automatic. You don't have to do a thing. If you mess with them, you will make the system less stable.

I don't know this mobo, but it got good reviews at Newegg.

You do have to do some things in BIOS the first time you power on, preparatory to installing the operating system: set the BIOS > Advanced Mode > SATA Configuration > SATA Mode to [AHCI Mode] and BIOS > Boot > Boot Option Priorities to boot first from the optical drive so you can install Windows from the CDROM. I like to kill the splash screen while I'm at it. Check to be sure the on-board graphics is disabled.

As soon as Windows is finished installing, run the motherboard driver CD. You might want to update those drivers if they are older than the ones at the Asus website.

Go back into BIOS and set the boot drive as the one you installed Windows on. By the way, during reboots during installation, the stupid computer will ask you to hit any key to boot from the optical drive. Ignore it after the initial bootup. You will want to let Windows boot from whatever it wants to during installation. It asks you that because it thinks you are in normal operation, and that's what it does by default when you set the boot priority to a removeable medium.