Sign in with
Your question

Can any ATX power supply unit fit onto HP dc7100 CMT Tower model?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Hewlett Packard
  • Fan
  • ATX
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
March 24, 2012 7:19:20 AM

The original HP dc7100 CMT convertible Tower model comes with a 340watt active PFC power supply unit. I realise the position of the 4 screws securing the HP original PSU is different from any of those ATX form factor Power Supply Unit. A standard ATX PSU with the fan at the back (right sided) will have the fan partially blocked by the chasis at the right side. That is why the HP original PSU has the fan almost in the center looking from behind. To address the fan issue, I may have to buy a PSU with those big 120mm fan facing downward instead of facing behind, but the screw holes are still quite diffrent. Could anyone advise if such standard ATX psu could be used in a HP dc7100 tower model? Apart from the physical positioning of the screws and fans behind, is there any other specifications ie. Active PFC type versus no PFC in a std ATX psu. I really appreciate if those who have used std ATX power supply for HP dc7100 Tower model as replacement or upgrading to higher power, pls share and advise. Thks

More about : atx power supply unit fit dc7100 cmt tower model

a b ) Power supply
a b α HP
March 24, 2012 8:16:21 AM

I had a similar hp case recently. The power supply itself has all the standarized connection plugs, but like yours, the screw holes don't line up. I threw out the case. I suggest you migrate your stuff over to a regular atx case. Newegg has the antec 300 on sale right now for $40 after rebate, and some are even including the new usb 3.0 adapter. You get $10 off with the promo code, plus another ten for the rebate: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168....
m
l
March 24, 2012 10:08:07 AM

o1die said:
I had a similar hp case recently. The power supply itself has all the standarized connection plugs, but like yours, the screw holes don't line up. I threw out the case. I suggest you migrate your stuff over to a regular atx case. Newegg has the antec 300 on sale right now for $40 after rebate, and some are even including the new usb 3.0 adapter. You get $10 off with the promo code, plus another ten for the rebate: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168....

Hi o1die, migrate everything to a standard ATX case is good idea, but can the HP DC7100 (CMT) motherboard fit into a standard ATX tower case? are the HP dc7100 mobo mounting holes the same as a std ATX case? Pls advise.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b α HP
March 24, 2012 12:22:22 PM

All the recent hp boards are micro or uatx size with standard mounting holes. You should have no trouble fitting it in the antec case. Antec, corsair, and ocz make excellent affordable power supplies if you're still shopping for one. Only potential problem is the backplate (i/o shield). Your old one may be permanently fixed on the back; see if it will pop out first.
m
l
!