Sign in with
Your question

So I'm trying to build a Music / Video editing beast....

Last response: in Systems
December 18, 2011 11:49:28 PM

I'm trying to build a fast and effecient music production / video editing machine. I've only been studying computer building for the past few days and have absorbed a lot of great information. I understand that everything has to be compatable and efficiently work together, not having pointless equipment for no good use (which is what I'm trying to filter out and understand more, what exactly it is i won't really need). I'll mainly be running FL Studio 9 +/ Reason 5.0/Pro Tools M Powered and for video editing I'll be using Sony Vegas Pro 11 (though I may try Adobe CS5 someday) working with AVCHD video files. I'll play a video game here and there but thats not my main focus. Heres what I've been looking at so far:

CPU: Intel 2600k/2700k OR Intel 3930k........I've heard that the 3930k is great for the ease of editing and for future proofing but still not sure if it's worth the extra cost (could use some more convincing)

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P9X79 WS (This is where I could use some help. If I can find something cheaper that will do just as good a job for what I'm trying to accomplish then I'll more likely go for that. But if this is the best bet for speed and power I'll stick with it, unless theres something better) Must have both USB 3.0 & 2.0 along with Firewire.

RAM: 16gb (Whats the best brand? G. Skill? Corsair? Crucial? Is it better to get two 8gb sticks or four 4gb sticks?)

GPU: I've heard Sony Vegas Pro 11 really utilizes nVidia, so I'm looking at the GTX 570 or 580. I am also looking to buy an extra lcd monitor so would I need to have a total of 2 graphic cards? I'm still not clear on the whole 2 graphic cards thing

STORAGE: Multiple (One for my video files, one for sounds/vstis, and one SSD for my operating systems)

PSU: Not sure

COOLING SYSTEM: Not sure

CASE: Not sure

Thats pretty much what I have in mind so far. As for the PSU and Cooling System I'm not to clear on what to look for. Again I am mainly using this as a Music Production / Video Editing Workstation. Speed, quietness, longevity, and reliability are my goals! If anyone has any input I'd appreciate it. I'm looking to get most of my things on eBay, NewEgg.com, and Fry's, or any other suggestions.

December 19, 2011 4:56:44 PM

Thank you! Will do
m
l
Related resources
!