Sign in with
Your question

Computer shuts down during Prime95

Last response: in Systems
December 19, 2011 1:25:29 AM

Hello Everybody,

This forum has been very helpful in a lot of different topics, so I first want to thank everyone that contributes in helping the community.

I'm new to building computers(I'am sure you all hear this alot) I have build my first system a few days ago and at first it seem to go well. Before I continue here is my build.

Intel i7 2600K 3.4Ghz (not OC'd...yet)
CM 212+ HS
Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 Board
Corsair Vengeance (4x4GB) 1333mhz (Running @ 1600 Mhz)
120GB Mushkin Sata III SSD
Corsair TX850 PSU
Corsair 400r Case
No Video Card

So here is the issue....

Everything installed fine, no problems. Windows booted up. Installed Updated Drivers. Updated Bios.

I wanted to make sure that everything was sound by running Prime95. Ran the program a few times last night and it shut the system down at about 1:20min and did not reboot. Not sure if it blue screened or not as I was not sitting in front of it either of the times.

Temps seem fine 24c idle/52c-Full load. I am using Asus Suite II as well as CPUID Hardware Monitor to monitor my temps and voltages. CPUIDHM seems to be recording temps 10 degress higher than the asus utility, so even at 62c it still seems to be a stable temp at full load(correct me if I'm wrong).

**Off Topic** Which one of these temperature monitors do you think is the most accurate? Should I be using something different?

Monitored voltages all seem stable on all rails.

First troubleshooting I did was decrease to the stock clock on the RAM. Still shut off after roughly an hour running blend test in P95. Ran Memtest and got no errors. Jumped the RTC to reset the Bios.

I have never ran prime 95 before, I wanted an all around stress test so the first 4 tests were with the blend mode. To cancel out a further possibility the the ram was the issue I ran the small FFT test to push the CPU to the limit. I left the house for about 30mins to find my computer had shut down again. I don't want to think the PSU is the problem cause the voltages are all very steady. With no overclocking done I'm wandering why this is happening. I only have the HS fan, front and rear chassis fans. I started to think maybe I didn't have enough air flow in the case but then again I think it running at very acceptable temps for stock.

So right now I have the system running small FFT on P95. So far so good, it's been about an hour.

Here's the kicker!

While exploring my case making sure everything was connected right, I saw what I thought was a sticker over the chipset. Thinking to my self "Wow it must be getting quite hot in there" is was because the "sticker" looked kinda wavy. I decided to peel it off. Lo and behold it was the protective cover. I feel like such a moron haha! I believe I have solved my problem, only more testing will tell.

But the question I have now is "It the protective cover on the chipset enough to make it overheat and in turn shutdown the entire system.?"

It makes sense to me but I am still not done running Prime95 yet so I'm not entirely sure. Any input would be helpful. Thanks

More about : computer shuts prime95

December 19, 2011 1:42:37 AM

By 'sticker' if you're refering to the Asus decal... that stays. That shouldn't be wrinkling from heat. If it is, the chipset is getting too warm for some reason. The chipset should get warm, even very warm. If it's 'overheating' enough to curl the decal, that would indicate a problem. Maybe a prob with the thermal paste between the HS and the chipset. You might try removing the heat sync, cleaning the surfaces*, and re-applying something like Arctic Silver 5**. Then re-installing the heat sync.

* http://www.arcticsilver.com/arcticlean.htm
** http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm
m
l
December 19, 2011 1:52:30 AM

Quote:
By 'sticker' if you're refering to the Asus decal... that stays. That shouldn't be wrinkling from heat. If it is, the chipset is getting too warm for some reason.

No, it was a clear plastic protective cover like the one you would take off a brand new cell phone.

Quote:
Maybe a prob with the thermal paste between the HS and the chipset.

Correct me if Im wrong but I believe the chipset is stuck to the motherboard, I don't think it is user serviceable.

Quote:
You might try removing the heat sync, cleaning the surfaces*, and re-applying something like Arctic Silver 5**. Then re-installing the heat sync.

This is what I used in between my heatsink and CPU.
m
l
Related resources
December 19, 2011 2:09:21 AM

Sorry, I stand corrected. I thought you were refering to the decal. I never saw a protective cover like you are refering to.
If you go to Newegg's page for that board and check out the pic of the bottom side of the board (enlarge it), you will see two phillips screw heads that appear to be for removal of the heat sync. Never having had that board, it's only an educated guess.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
December 19, 2011 2:26:13 AM

No worries, we learn from each other. Right now I've been prime stable for a little over 2 hours. :bounce: 
m
l
December 19, 2011 1:02:40 PM

Just to clarify, when I said "check out the pic of the bottom side of the board", I meant to say the back side of the board.

Nevertheless, I'm glad to hear you solved the problem.
m
l
December 19, 2011 5:24:38 PM

Has anyone ran into this issue before? I've searched and found nothing saying to remove the plastic film on the chipset. I would think they would put large lettering on it to "remove before use". Is this just a common practice?
m
l
December 19, 2011 5:44:42 PM

Have you tried running Asus Probe and seen what the motherboard temps are?
m
l
December 19, 2011 6:42:25 PM

ninjadragon719 said:
Has anyone ran into this issue before? I've searched and found nothing saying to remove the plastic film on the chipset. I would think they would put large lettering on it to "remove before use". Is this just a common practice?

Did it have any printing at all on it... logo, ads? If you're able to, post a pic of it. But I've never come across that with any of the many boards I've worked with. I wonder what the logic was for doing that?
m
l
December 19, 2011 7:12:36 PM

ahnilated said:
Have you tried running Asus Probe and seen what the motherboard temps are?

Yes, and the motherboard temperature is about 27°C. I'm not sure that it monitors the temp of the chipset tho.
m
l
December 19, 2011 7:18:35 PM

clutchc said:
Did it have any printing at all on it... logo, ads? If you're able to, post a pic of it. But I've never come across that with any of the many boards I've worked with. I wonder what the logic was for doing that?

No print. Just a clear plastic sticker, like the one you peel off a brand new cell phone screen. It ran all night on prime95 blend test without crashing. It makes sense to me that the whole system would shut down because the chipset got to hot in the same way it would for the CPU. I believe that the plastic film was covering the head spreader on the heatsink for the chipset not allowing for the heat to be displaced. I'm at work right now and the system is still running P95 so I guess I'll see when I get home.
m
l
December 19, 2011 7:43:16 PM

ninjadragon719 said:
Yes, and the motherboard temperature is about 27°C. I'm not sure that it monitors the temp of the chipset tho.

It sure should. I get the temps on mine and the motherboard temps are always different then the chipset temps.
m
l
December 19, 2011 8:40:58 PM

Can you post a screen shot showing where the chipset temp would be?
m
l
December 20, 2011 2:21:36 PM

I can as soon as I get home tonight.
m
l
December 20, 2011 2:28:34 PM

I just got the same mobo, that plastic was just there to protect the ASUS logo on that heatsink, it should of been removed before starting your computer up.
m
l
December 20, 2011 4:19:12 PM

Lokster1 said:
I just got the same mobo, that plastic was just there to protect the ASUS logo on that heatsink, it should of been removed before starting your computer up.

Right! Now the questions is "Would you have removed it without reading this posting?". Is there any type of warning stating to remove it before use? The whole thing looked like sticker to me that's why I didn't remove it. On the bottom of my heatsink there was big letters on the protective cover to remove before use, why couldn't they have made it appearent. I'm glad I found the problem cause I almost said F$&? It and ran the system knowing it couldn't pass 1:30 of P95. I knew tho if something was wrong I only have some much time to RMA if needed so I had to find the issue quick! Some times its good to be hard headed!
m
l
December 22, 2011 6:15:00 PM

clutchc said:
By 'sticker' if you're refering to the Asus decal... that stays. That shouldn't be wrinkling from heat. If it is, the chipset is getting too warm for some reason. The chipset should get warm, even very warm. If it's 'overheating' enough to curl the decal, that would indicate a problem. Maybe a prob with the thermal paste between the HS and the chipset. You might try removing the heat sync, cleaning the surfaces*, and re-applying something like Arctic Silver 5**. Then re-installing the heat sync.

* http://www.arcticsilver.com/arcticlean.htm
** http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

Sorry to hijack this thread - I noticed that my ASUS sticker covering the Z68 chipset heatsink is a little "wrinkly", are you sure that indicates unsafe working temperatures for the chipset? My mobo temperatures never get that high, so I don't think it is causing a problem, if you know of anywhere official that says it is a problem, please post links.

Edit: Ha ha ha....nevermind, I'm an idiot. I did the same thing that ninjadragon71 did (I should have read all the posts in this thread before commenting)....it WAS the plastic film on top of the decal that was wrinkling from the heat......everything is fine now.
m
l
December 22, 2011 8:55:41 PM

ebalong said:
Sorry to hijack this thread - I noticed that my ASUS sticker covering the Z68 chipset heatsink is a little "wrinkly", are you sure that indicates unsafe working temperatures for the chipset? My mobo temperatures never get that high, so I don't think it is causing a problem, if you know of anywhere official that says it is a problem, please post links.

Edit: Ha ha ha....nevermind, I'm an idiot. I did the same thing that ninjadragon71 did (I should have read all the posts in this thread before commenting)....it WAS the plastic film on top of the decal that was wrinkling from the heat......everything is fine now.

LOL!! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that did that! Have you tried running any stress test on your system? It's a good thing you found it when you did cause it would have more than likely caused a lot of problems down the road. This issue was affecting my chipset so bad, it was overheating to the point it would shut itself down in order to prevent further damage to the components. Once I removed the "protective film" I was able to run Prime95 for 24hrs without throwing a single error.
m
l
!