Stuttering in video games - New build (new builder)

BlevWake

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
This is the first time I have ever built a PC. I was told that I would hit several walls that I felt I would not be able to overcome, and have been able to figure out each one with the help of friends. This time however, neither myself nor my friends are sure of what to do.

Setup:

GFx: MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti

CPU: Intel i5 2500k

Mobo: MSI P67A-G43 (B3)

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)

HDD: 500GB Seagate Momentus XT

PSU: XFX Core Edition PRO650W (P1-650S-NLB9) 650W

Windows 7 64 bit

I am getting a stuttering effect every minute or so in games like Left 4 Dead 2 and Starcraft 2. It lasts for around 5 seconds and seems to loop the audio and video rapidly. V-Sync is off, I have tried lowering the settings on the games (I should be able to run max settings without issues). I have also tried reinstalling the Nvidia Drivers for both graphics and Realtek HD Audio without avail.

Can anyone help me?

What is the speed of that RAM? If you don't know it then try to find some other identifier.

Have you DLd and run HWMonitor from CPUID in order to verify temperatures are fine?

Do you have all the latest stable release drivers for everything in your computer?

Do you have all the critical and recommended windows updates installed?

What all problems did you have in the past that you already fixed?

Do you have an intrusive anti virus program? What kind of AV are you using?

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
http://www.memtest.org/

This would be my leading candidate for culpability. In lieu of doing this you could also set the XMP profile in your bios to try to stabilize your memory timings. Just set it to default which should autoclock your RAM to their factory settings. If it doesn't improve the problem give memtest a shot.

pairenoid

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
for my new build last week it was my memory speed that caused stuttering and slow boots, went from auto to 1333 and have not suffered stuttering since

nobody told me in this age that when you build a pc you have to manually set the ram speed, so i never thought of it

BlevWake

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011

--I am running MSE and Windows Firewall. I'm not sure if they are invasive or not.

BlevWake

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011

How do I run Memtest?

BlevWake

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011

This is very interesting! I will check it out for sure. Did you just change it in BIOS?

To run MemTest86 you have to look it up on the internet, download the ISO, use a program that can deconstruct an ISO and build a bootable CD from the files in it, and start the system with the MemTest CD in the drive.

In my experience, it is pretty rare that people have to do anything in regards to their RAM in the BIOS if they get RAM that is on the QVL from a quality manufacturer and a board from a quality manufacturer. Still, RAM can be one of the biggest PITA things to deal with in terms of computer hardware. I would say that nothing is more likely not to work than RAM out of any other part.

MSE and Windows Firewall are probably not intrusive enough to cause stuttering when you are doing things.

You don't really need to know what PC3 10666 means, just know that it always goes with 1333 RAM and that is fine. Every speed of RAM has an associated PC number that always goes with it. It doesn't ever change. Same speed same PC number always.

The numbers 667, 800, 1066, 1333, 1600, 1866, etc are used most often so just stick with those and you are fine.

BlevWake

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011

It was certainly silly of me to not have ordered a cd/dvd drive, but I thought I could get away with it. I have up until now, and I just ordered the drive. Unfortunately it will not be here for a week. Is there anything I can do in the meantime to test if it is a hardware problem? I bought the parts from newegg on the 30th of November so time is ticking in case I need to replace anything. I really appreciate your help.

Do you think it would be worth it for me to hire someone to run through my computer?

BlevWake

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011

Edit: I tried changing the value in my BIOS from auto to 1333 and when I loaded SC2 it worked for about a minute without stuttering...then it started up again.

It is so frustrating to dump a ton of money into a new PC and not have it work correctly. :/

Such are the dangers of trying to cut corners.

You could have just went to a store and paid 2x for the CD drive and gotten it the same day, but you are kinda locked into the online buy now unless you want to have 2 CD Drives.

Perhaps you can borrow a CD drive from somewhere while you wait...

I wouldn't pay someone like the Geek Squad to troubleshoot the problems, that can run you $40 - $90 an hour. You could go to the store and get a CD drive today for a lot less than that and keep it when everything is said and done.

They do have more resources to get this stuff done quickly, but you wouldn't have cut the first corner if the budget savings ($15) didn't make sense in your situation.