Will the P67 Sabertooth boot if you don't have a CPU_Fan plugged in?

OpalReactor

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
I was really hoping that it would still let you boot up if you don't have something plugged into the CPU_Fan socket. I just got an aerocool shark 140mm fan and it's a 3 pin fan that comes with a molex adaptor. This would be fine (i'm an idiot for not reading the fact it didn't say PWM anywhere) but can I plug it straight into the PSU rather than the motherboard?

Solution

3 pins work in 4 pins. You just don't get that PWM. Don't run it on molex unless you have to.

Also, you should have no problems with running without anything connected to CPU fan header. Both my motherboards that I've used have been fine with that.

OpalReactor

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009

ah heck, I'll just connect my CPU fan to the 3 pin Chassis fan I guess =\ but controlling speeds might get a little interesting, as there won't be a direct between fan speed and CPU temperature.

Or would it be better to just run MOLEX 4P off the PSU?

samuelspark

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

3 pins work in 4 pins. You just don't get that PWM. Don't run it on molex unless you have to.

Also, you should have no problems with running without anything connected to CPU fan header. Both my motherboards that I've used have been fine with that.

Solution

OpalReactor

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
Ah! I just remembered, I'm such an idiot, my NZXT phantom comes with it's own fan controller.

And with my current 3 pin fan, I'll just attach it to the side of the case and plug it into a CHA_Fan port.