Help for new build

mike123asd

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
so im planning a new build and i need some help. First let me start by saying what im using it for. I mostly want the computer for gaming. Mostly bf3. i would like to be able to run the game on ultra, or around there.
So all i want if for you people to plan out a build that would be good for that, keep and mind that my budget it no more than $1000.

striker410

Distinguished
Hi! Welcome to the forums.

Please give us a bit more information by filling out this form here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice It will let us know what you need and where to get it from.

That said I can tell you that you should aim for an Intel machine (with an i5-2500k) with an AMD GPU (probably a 6950) to tackle this game. Should tackle the game on high without problems. I'll give you more information once you fill out that form ;)

mike123asd

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: not very sure yet

Budget Range: ~1000 with shipping and tax (my state has tax for online ): )

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, high overall performance

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Parts Preferences: IF POSSIBLE intel cpu

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: not sure

Additional Comments: I would like for the case to be big enough if i ever go into SLI or Crossfire , or any other upgrades, oh and im not even looking into a water-cooled system

joecarver

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
The Verge have just published a great article on building a $1000 gaming PC (This was posted an hour ago)
http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/19/2639968/how-to-build-gaming-pc

The only thing I'd mention with regards to that, is upgrade the GPU if you want to play BF3 on Ultra (their system will play it on high comfortably). Save money by getting a standard optical drive, or possible none at all. Alternatively get an i5-2400 rather than the 2500k if you are not interested in overclocking.

striker410

Distinguished
^ the build above isn't bad. I would substitute an ASRock Gen3 board and cheaper ram (along with a Hyper 212 EVO cooler) and it would be pretty perfect. Maybe drop the SSD.

joecarver

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
There is no single component than I would recommend higher than an SSD (even if a very small one) at this particular time.

The bottleneck of most systems when booting an OS, launching applications, and reading files is in the hard drive, and the only way to get rid of this is with an SSD.

Getting a $100 SSD will make a massive overall difference, much more than a $100 upgrade to any other component would cause.

Add in the fact that HDD prices have gone through the roof and will remain high for a long period of time and now seems like a great time to invest in an SSD.

mike123asd

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
well i dont think the booting speed of the OS really matters, how often are your going to turn on your computer? And what about a amd phenom ii x4 970? its allot more affordable and doesn't seem much different. Im allso thinking of the evga 560ti super-clocked edition.

striker410

Distinguished
The Phenom II 970 and the 2500k are worlds apart, seriously. Don't even compare the two.

You can easily match the "super-clock" with 5 minutes of overclocking. Seriously. Install one program and drag one bar. It's that easy!

mike123asd

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
well how about the i5-2400 i dont think i'm over clocking, i5-2500k plus a good enough gpu and everything else isn't in my budget :(