PC knocked off network

lonelypauly

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
One of the PC's hardwired on my network (Linksys WRT54G) just got knocked off the network. I accessed my network from another computer and the PC in question does not even show up on the router table. I checked the ipconfig/all settings and the ip is all zeros. Everytime I tried ip release and ip renew it would act like it was doing something, but would just hang, i waited an hour and nothing ever happened. I entered the /displaydns command and im seeing stuff like adserver.net, sextracker.com, cash2002.de,etc. I did a virus scan and everything seems fine. I can't even access my network menu from that pc. I double checked the physical connections, and everything is fine there, any ideas?

<b><font color=blue>Athlon64 3200+ Winchester/MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI/MSI 6800 Ultra/1 GB Kingston HyperX (Dual Channel)/74GB WD Raptor/600Watt Enermax Noisetaker/ Dual Mitsubishi 21 Inch Monitors</b></font color=blue>

riser

Illustrious
Make sure computer names are different.

Can you ping 127.0.0.1?

Have you restarted the computer?

Have you checked the ethernet cable? A lot of times the cable can be bad, but showing that it's connected yet not receive an IP address.

lonelypauly

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
The computer names are different,
I can't ping 127.0.01 or my router (my router works im on another PC), I've tried restarting several times, I've been using a 100 foot long ethernet cable that runs under the house, I visually inspected it and I didn't see where a mouse would chew it or something, can Cat5 cables just go bad all of a sudden? Also, when i look at the ip settings everything is Zeros!

<b><font color=blue>Athlon64 3200+ Winchester/MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI/MSI 6800 Ultra/1 GB Kingston HyperX (Dual Channel)/74GB WD Raptor/600Watt Enermax Noisetaker/ Dual Mitsubishi 21 Inch Monitors</b></font color=blue>

riser

Illustrious
If you can't ping 127.0.0.1 you have a big problem..

Check your device manager to make sure the network card is installed.. it may have a driver problem, so you'll want to make sure you have the the drivers installed.

If that's not the problem, you have a good chance at having a bad network card.

lonelypauly

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
Ok, this is really bad...when i try to uninstall/reinstall the driver for the ethernet port I get *Program is not responding. I get the same message when I attempt to uninstall and reinstall the TCP/IP Network Settings under Windows XP. They just hang there. I have 2 ethernet ports on this computer too, the main one is Nvidia Nforce4 and the other is Marvell. Have I been hit with a nasty virus or something?

lonelypauly

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
Ok, im online using the Other ethernet port, but i still don't know what is up with the Nvidia port. i restarted my computer after the device manager unistall for the Nvidia port hung, and now the port is uninstalled leaving me with the Marvell port(which was disabled until i enabled it just now) How can i tell if my Nvidia ethernet port is bad? device manager says it's working properly...should i try and find the latest driver?

riser

Illustrious
You have update your BIOS which might fix it..
If you put your ethernet cable you're using right now into the nvidia one, and it doesn't work, it means it doesn't work since you know the cable and connection is there.

You can look for newer drivers, or even revert back to older ones that you were using when it worked.

Other than that.. I can't really think of anything else to do off hand.

lonelypauly

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
Thanks for responding. I'm using the Marvell port and it's fine...i guess that other one died. Dont really want to send the board to MSI because of that though.

riser

Illustrious
MSI has the liveupdate feature which makes updating your BIOS really easy.
I've never really had good luck using onboard NICs personally.. I prefer MSI hardware myself. I haven't had any problems with their equipment aside from things being damaged in shipping.

You can call them up and ask for a cross-ship, meaning they'll ship you a motherboard, you ship your bad one back and you're down for a day.. or you have the option of giving them your CC#, they'll ship you one and you return your bad one when you get the new one. If they don't get yours back in 1-2 weeks, they charge your card for it.

lonelypauly

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
oh really? I may just do that.