Acrobat Reader on IE

Can someone tell me how to change what version of a
program starts when requesting that program?

When a PDF (Adobe Acrobat Reader) file opens in Internet
Explorer, my computer starts version 5. I ***thought***
I deleted that version when I downloaded and installed
AAR version 6 on my Windows XP Home SP-1 desktop computer.

How do I get version 6 to open when I click a PDF link
while using Internet Explorer?

Thanks.

Jim
2 answers Last reply
More about acrobat reader

    Verify the association in Control Panel > Folder Options > File Types.

    "Jim" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can someone tell me how to change what version of a
    > program starts when requesting that program?
    >
    > When a PDF (Adobe Acrobat Reader) file opens in Internet
    > Explorer, my computer starts version 5. I ***thought***
    > I deleted that version when I downloaded and installed
    > AAR version 6 on my Windows XP Home SP-1 desktop computer.
    >
    > How do I get version 6 to open when I click a PDF link
    > while using Internet Explorer?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Jim

    That really isn't going to fix it, as MIME settings are separate from
    associations for files opened locally. In terms of this particular problem
    what is probably the case is that the file nppdf32.dll is from the previous
    version of Acrobat. (Note: np*.dll is the default file name for browser
    plug-ins. The NP stands for Netscape Plug-in and is a throwback to when
    Netscape enjoyed a similar kind of dominance to what Microsoft now has with
    Internet Explorer. It was the standard before Microsoft developed ActiveX
    for opening files not natively supported by your browser, and still is for
    other browsers notably Mozilla and Opera. Nowadays I find they're mainly
    used in IE by Adobe for Acrobat and Apple for QuickTime as M$ stopped
    support with ver. 5.5 SP2) When you install Acrobat it doesn't uninstall
    other versions, i.e. 6 leaves 5 intact on your system (for instance for
    those who need to check how their PDF's are rendered in earlier versions),
    though 6.01 will _update_ version 6.0. So first of all make sure than you've
    uninstalled version 5, assuming you don't need it anymore, then possibly
    delete the file C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\nppdf32.dll. Then
    you can check the settings in version 6, if its set to check browser
    integration upon start-up you might be prompted and it should be fixed
    straight away. If not check the settings in the Preferences under Internet.
    If all that doesn't work or you just want to skip all that and do it real
    quick uninstall both of them and then just re-install version 6. If all that
    doesn't work after installing version 6 etc., copy over D:\Program
    Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\Browser\nppdf32.dll into C:\Program
    Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins. That's fairly exhaustive so hopefully your
    problem should now be solved.

    Nik

    > Verify the association in Control Panel > Folder Options > File Types.
    >
    > "Jim" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Can someone tell me how to change what version of a
    >> program starts when requesting that program?
    >>
    >> When a PDF (Adobe Acrobat Reader) file opens in Internet
    >> Explorer, my computer starts version 5. I ***thought***
    >> I deleted that version when I downloaded and installed
    >> AAR version 6 on my Windows XP Home SP-1 desktop computer.
    >>
    >> How do I get version 6 to open when I click a PDF link
    >> while using Internet Explorer?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> Jim

Configuration Internet Explorer Acrobat Windows XP