Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Gtx
  • Phenom
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2012 6:18:17 PM

Hey guys, i asked a similar question earlier about Phenom II 980 or the two BE X6's. But Malmental and several others told me to get the Phenom 975 or 980 ( I went with a 980)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and i was wondering, would i have a extreme bottleneck with this Processor. and a GTX 680?

Don't recommend me getting any AMD radoen cards, because i only buy NVIDIA!

Don't tell me to buy Intel because I am going to Build a complete Intel System later on. My only question is as said before. Will i have any Bottlenecks that will be so major that i can't handle a GTX 680?

More about : gtx 680 phenom 980

a b à CPUs
March 24, 2012 6:56:29 PM

Rockdpm said:
Hey guys, i asked a similar question earlier about Phenom II 980 or the two BE X6's. But Malmental and several others told me to get the Phenom 975 or 980 ( I went with a 980)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and i was wondering, would i have a extreme bottleneck with this Processor. and a GTX 680?

Don't recommend me getting any AMD radoen cards, because i only buy NVIDIA!

Don't tell me to buy Intel because I am going to Build a complete Intel System later on. My only question is as said before. Will i have any Bottlenecks that will be so major that i can't handle a GTX 680?

Depending on the Title and Resolution played... I would think that yes... you will likely be bottlenecked.

Some titles have the GTX 680 competing with a 6990 and GTX 590... and those cards do bottleneck Phenom II X4s.

However some of the bottleneck can be alleviated via an overclock.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2012 7:44:05 PM

Idk tho. i have seen the scores of even a Phenom II 975 and it wasn't too far behind the older i7's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck0PoDVSwDA
and fast forward to about 3:35 and you will see cinebench it does ok.

But I am gaming, not Cenebench. Also i take your comment lightly as you are a Intel User. Not trying to discriminate you. I just need more replys to make a decision

But right now my Ideas are :

1. Get a GTX 680 when the non reference cards come out (Possibly) and overclock my CPU if need be

2. Get a GTX 670 or model below the 680
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2012 7:59:31 PM

Also i won't be SLI'ing the 680, it would be be one card....
m
l
March 24, 2012 8:03:13 PM

Not at all
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2012 8:05:36 PM

ElMoIsEviL said:
Depending on the Title and Resolution played... I would think that yes... you will likely be bottlenecked.

Some titles have the GTX 680 competing with a 6990 and GTX 590... and those cards do bottleneck Phenom II X4s.

So for the Harsh response....I read your reply again and thought about it. Understood the part about "Depending on the Tittle"

The games i play are: Skyrim, Metro 2033, and Battlefield 3, Bad Company 2 and a few of the games to come. Like Metro Last Light and Far Cry 3. but I want to be able to handle the things to come this year.

So Again sorry for the harsh response. I was a Regular once, and i know how hard it was getting to Veteran.
m
l
March 24, 2012 8:06:21 PM

ElMoIsEviL said:

Doesn't matter even if CPU is a minor bottleneck because it will never be a game breaker the framerates will always be more than perfectly playable even with the Phenom II x4 980 which is an amazing CPU even still today @ only $150
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2012 8:08:22 PM

I am a PC said:
Not at all

So thats
1: for No Bottle Neck, System Ready for GTX 680
0: For no don't buy 680, itl be complete bottleneck
1: Eh, maybe unless you overclock
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2012 8:09:42 PM

I am a PC said:
Doesn't matter even if CPU is a minor bottleneck because it will never be a game breaker the framerates will always be more than perfectly playable even with the Phenom II x4 980 which is an amazing CPU even still today @ only $150

Get em fieto get em boy! lol
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2012 8:15:05 PM

Quote:
But Malmental and several others told me to get the Phenom 975 or 980 ( I went with a 980)

Mals right, the 980 is a good choice.

And he would even agree - MicroCenter has the 2500K for $179.99 and $50 off and P67 or Z68 board which is a better upgrade. So you could get CPU and board for $230.

But again, the 980 is fine.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2012 8:19:29 PM

Thanks russ. As earlier stated ill be building a Intel Build in within the next year or so. And i would like to have a Nice graphics card to carry over to it. So As long as the GTX 680 and the 980 agree with eachother. thats probably the card i will get. Unless the GTX 670 isn't at much difference and is a cheaper card
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2012 8:30:18 PM

Even if there are slight bottlenecks - the GTX680 would be a very nice upgrade - one that you will keep when upgrading the mobo/ram/cpu.
If you can get your hands on one buy it!!!!
-Bruce
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2012 8:33:17 PM

Thanks Moose/Bruce. I believe we all agree now.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2012 8:34:10 PM

So that makes

4: for No Bottle Neck, System Ready for GTX 680
0: For no don't buy 680, itl be complete bottleneck
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2012 8:58:05 PM

I think it will be fine, from a technical standpoint you will be restricted to less FPS than the card would achieve with a faster CPU.
With a GPU like the 680 this would be true of even the fastest CPU though, over clock that and you would get more FPS.

I believe that you wont have a noticeable issue.

Don't know if you have seen this its part 4 of a 4 part series links are on the first page to the others. Its quite old now but good reading for someone who wants to get a handle on exactly how this whole issue works.
Bottlenecking is over hyped in my opinion.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/balanced-gaming-pc-overcl...

Mactronix :) 
m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
March 24, 2012 9:03:41 PM

980's are nice but 960T's are better (IMHO), they have almost an 80% unlock rate to a 6 core (don't believe me go read the new egg reviews, everyone is unlocking this thing) But even if it doesn't unlock its a black edition chip, bump your multi up a few notches and bang theres your 980. There is no point in paying more for clocks on BE chips, plus the 960T is on sale at MC for $99.99 ! you cant lose !
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2012 9:42:39 PM

Yea me and Mal have discussed this....Also its a bit too late to change my CPU. I ordered my 980 two days ago
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2012 9:48:13 PM

Quote:

shouldn't count that because the 980BE can click the multi 3 times without having to adjust settings and I run my two clicks.
so just two clicks of the multi on the 980BE is 4.1GHz.

so you should be doing that anyways...

Are you talking about upping the Multiplier a tad bit with Stock Voltage and get a 4.0 or 4.2 OC?
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
March 24, 2012 9:48:50 PM

Your 560ti's are already pretty good, is it possible to bump each one up to 1ghz? That will pretty much put them a bit slower than the 680 and a bit faster than the 7970.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
March 24, 2012 9:54:08 PM

If you OC your X4 980 to 4.0 Ghz (which is absolutely doable) you shouldn't have too much of a bottleneck except in the most extreme CPU limited situations. I tested a GTX 580 (stock) with my X4 955 @ 3.6 Ghz and it was much faster and smoother in all my Bethesda titles than my GTX 460 1GB @ 875 Mhz. I imagine a GTX 680 paired with an X4 running 400 Mhz faster would be about the same experience.
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2012 10:08:44 PM

jeffredo said:
If you OC your X4 980 to 4.0 Ghz (which is absolutely doable) you shouldn't have too much of a bottleneck except in the most extreme CPU limited situations. I tested a GTX 580 (stock) with my X4 955 @ 3.6 Ghz and it was much faster and smoother in all my Bethesda titles than my GTX 460 1GB @ 875 Mhz. I imagine a GTX 680 paired with an X4 running 400 Mhz faster would be about the same experience.

Thanks Jeff, that real scenario put the bar on things. Thanks for the Example!, ok so let me calculate here real quick.

3.7Ghz +400mhz =4.1?, 4.1 is probably a good Speed, without upping the voltage. (if i do have to up the voltage for a Overclock, i don't want it to be too much). I know 1.5 volts is pretty steep for a Processor. its already using 1.4v. so.....I guess the thing to do first, is once i get my 980. See what kind of temps i am running, do a temps check, prime 95 benchmark. Wait until i have my GTX 680, to know what the breaking point of the Bottleneck would be. To get the CPU and GPU on the same page for the most part!
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2012 10:10:49 PM

jeffredo said:

Wow i just googled Phenom 980 overclocked to 4.0 on stock, and your thread was the first thing to come up. What do you know? lol
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2012 11:15:07 PM

Quote:
+1

Well i guess we will have to find out, since ill only be using one 680. Ill have the head room for Voltage. but if i can get 4.0 stable on stock voltage settings...I'ma be balling :bounce: 

Then ima rolling up in here telling Jeffrado...Look what i did

nah nah nah nah can't touch this.. :non:  :non: 

Then i can tell him what he has been wondering on Overclockers.net, its his Chipset holding him back!
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2012 1:00:38 AM

Rockdpm said:
Well i guess we will have to find out, since ill only be using one 680. Ill have the head room for Voltage. but if i can get 4.0 stable on stock voltage settings...I'ma be balling :bounce: 

Then ima rolling up in here telling Jeffrado...Look what i did

nah nah nah nah can't touch this.. :non:  :non: 

Then i can tell him what he has been wondering on Overclockers.net, its his Chipset holding him back!

I certainly hope its my old 790FX chipset causing my higher stock voltage (1.425-1.44) and not my CPU. :lol: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2012 1:27:15 AM

jeffredo said:
I certainly hope its my old 790FX chipset causing my higher stock voltage (1.425-1.44) and not my CPU. :lol: 

Well do you have a Link to the board you are using. I could take a look at it. I was reading you post, and i have a buddy that was running a 890X ROG board. and it had to be RMA'ed but i believe he overclocked his CPU pretty well with that chipset. if i were you. I'd try a different board. One with a better Mosfit, higher quality capacitor's and chokes, Also overall power design. CPU's and Graphics cards arent the only think that get better over the years. its also Motherboards. And one thing i like that ASUS has done, is they have made their BIOS and Motherboards more overclocking friendly. They make sure their Warranties are good (Even tho some may comment that RMA process is complete SH**) but i havn't had a problem with my ASUS products.

Proud owner of a m4a88td evo usb3 board as well as a sabertooth 990FX (Current mobo) ans a ASUS DCII 560 ti. All good products.

So if you could show me what motherboard your using. I might could determine if its chipset or power design thats holding you back. One thing i have picked up from my time in the computer business. Is Marketing. You know when you've bought a great product. when it does what you need it to and with things that you didn't even ask for but become useful later on. One of the Actual Key aspects of ASUS is they look at the feed back of their products and ask the community what could be improved, what could be added and i just think a company that focusses on the community and what the consumer wants in their product whether it be Motherboards or Graphics cards. Internet Routers/ modems. etc etc. Just a few seconds of examining the overall physical quality of the product can also determine if its a good product.
m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
March 25, 2012 2:54:51 AM

Quote:
disagree..

Mal please PM me, I would love to hear you elaborate on this topic but don't need to be posting out of context on the thread. Rock congrats on the new chip, I recently switched back to the Phenom from the new FX and not looking back !
m
l
March 25, 2012 2:56:48 AM

If you are planning on upgrading your cpu within a year, i'd say go for the 680.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2012 3:09:07 AM

bawchicawawa said:
If you are planning on upgrading your cpu within a year, i'd say go for the 680.

well thank you bow chicka wow wow. Yea i have been talking to a Utube friend of mine, and he claims he can get me a deal on a GTX 680. So i will probably get one from either him or one of the non reference cards. But yea most likely once i get a job within the next few months. I will have to devote some cash for school but most will be saving up to go to My nearest Comp USA/Tiger direct to buy Intel Motherboard and Processor.....So how you liking your six core?, its seeming to be hard to even find BE Six cores from Phenom now. Why? because bull dozer sucked so much people started buying Older Phenom's because they would out perform them. So they took all but one model off market unless you find one OEM or Used.

I was running a 955 before and liked it with this new Chipset. infact performance was great. thanks to this new chipset my frames increased by about 15 to 25 on most games
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2012 3:47:45 AM

Lovely performer
Pros: Very efficient architecture. It has a lower power draw than my prior card, the now outdated gtx280, while VASTLY outperforming it in games.
Also, it's drastically quieter. Setting the fan to 100%, which I had 24/7 on my last card, made it sound like a jet engine. This card is significantly quieter, even with fan at 100%.

Cons: None yet. I'll come back if something goes wrong. I might possibly be bottlenecking this card with my outdated cpu, but it shouldn't be TOO extreme.

Other Thoughts: e8600 @ 4.2ghz
6 gigs 1066 ddr2
gtx680

scores 17k in 3Dmark Vantage. Haven't had a chance to try 3dMark 11 yet.

^ Review from a Newegg customer on his GTX 680. If he is able to do it, then so can i!
m
l
March 25, 2012 3:54:04 AM

Rockdpm said:
Lovely performer
Pros: Very efficient architecture. It has a lower power draw than my prior card, the now outdated gtx280, while VASTLY outperforming it in games.
Also, it's drastically quieter. Setting the fan to 100%, which I had 24/7 on my last card, made it sound like a jet engine. This card is significantly quieter, even with fan at 100%.

Cons: None yet. I'll come back if something goes wrong. I might possibly be bottlenecking this card with my outdated cpu, but it shouldn't be TOO extreme.

Other Thoughts: e8600 @ 4.2ghz
6 gigs 1066 ddr2
gtx680

scores 17k in 3Dmark Vantage. Haven't had a chance to try 3dMark 11 yet.

^ Review from a Newegg customer on his GTX 680. If he is able to do it, then so can i!

Why would you put the GPU fan to 100% there is just not justification or need for it LOL.
m
l
March 25, 2012 4:06:33 AM

Quote:
dumbest thing I ever heard of.
one of them anyways...

100% fan speed is the dumbest thing I have heard in all my ownership of over 15 Video Cards I have never needed to move away from the Auto setting and even then it has never gone to 100% which would indicate something is wrong LOL some people just don't get it
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2012 4:06:48 AM

Yea lol....i just read that again. Why would you need to, i mean i know i have been hearing it gets about as hot as a 580 did but....really 100%. Are you trying to blow the fan right out of the card?
m
l
March 25, 2012 4:10:03 AM

Rockdpm said:
Yea lol....i just read that again. Why would you need to, i mean i know i have been hearing it gets about as hot as a 580 did but....really 100%. Are you trying to blow the fan right out of the card?

Auto setting in all my ownership of over 15 cards has never when above 70% and thats on a hot summer day. 100% would be an indicator something is wrong with the card or insufficient case cooling/airflow.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2012 4:23:47 AM

Exactly. And with the neatest cable management i have in my case......

I could fit a entire water kit in this case and still have room.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2012 5:40:34 AM

A GTX 680 is overkill unless you like benching or plan on keeping it long term as there are a few issues;

1] AMD release 8000 series cards by year end and Nvidia not long after, so in the short term the 680 will start to look redundant.

2] Overpriced

3] You will lose at least half the second hand value within a month, trust me I change hardware often.

I have recently ditched my intel builds to go back to AMD and what I have found is that with a 8120 or X6 1100T you can run BF3 well over 90FPS with the 5970 or 6990 dual GPU's, I am pretty sure at 1900x10XX you can game without a CPU bottleneck with a 980.

Also if you are on a AMD platform SLI is rather new so I would avoid Nvidia for multi GPU support, I would go with two 7850's and overclock the crap out of them, alternatively volt mod.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2012 6:02:00 AM

On what the pricing or the loss of value part?
m
l
March 25, 2012 6:52:44 AM

sarinaide said:
A GTX 680 is overkill unless you like benching or plan on keeping it long term as there are a few issues;

1] AMD release 8000 series cards by year end and Nvidia not long after, so in the short term the 680 will start to look redundant.

2] Overpriced

3] You will lose at least half the second hand value within a month, trust me I change hardware often.

I have recently ditched my intel builds to go back to AMD and what I have found is that with a 8120 or X6 1100T you can run BF3 well over 90FPS with the 5970 or 6990 dual GPU's, I am pretty sure at 1900x10XX you can game without a CPU bottleneck with a 980.

Also if you are on a AMD platform SLI is rather new so I would avoid Nvidia for multi GPU support, I would go with two 7850's and overclock the crap out of them, alternatively volt mod.

I agree BF3 is not all that CPU intensive even in 64player multi Phenom II is just fine
m
l
March 25, 2012 6:53:08 AM

Quote:
disagree..

Agree to disagree with you ^
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2012 8:49:08 AM

Rockdpm said:
Well do you have a Link to the board you are using. I could take a look at it. I was reading you post, and i have a buddy that was running a 890X ROG board. and it had to be RMA'ed but i believe he overclocked his CPU pretty well with that chipset. if i were you. I'd try a different board. One with a better Mosfit, higher quality capacitor's and chokes, Also overall power design. CPU's and Graphics cards arent the only think that get better over the years. its also Motherboards. And one thing i like that ASUS has done, is they have made their BIOS and Motherboards more overclocking friendly. They make sure their Warranties are good (Even tho some may comment that RMA process is complete SH**) but i havn't had a problem with my ASUS products.

Proud owner of a m4a88td evo usb3 board as well as a sabertooth 990FX (Current mobo) ans a ASUS DCII 560 ti. All good products.

So if you could show me what motherboard your using. I might could determine if its chipset or power design thats holding you back. One thing i have picked up from my time in the computer business. Is Marketing. You know when you've bought a great product. when it does what you need it to and with things that you didn't even ask for but become useful later on. One of the Actual Key aspects of ASUS is they look at the feed back of their products and ask the community what could be improved, what could be added and i just think a company that focusses on the community and what the consumer wants in their product whether it be Motherboards or Graphics cards. Internet Routers/ modems. etc etc. Just a few seconds of examining the overall physical quality of the product can also determine if its a good product.

Thanks Rock, any opinion is welcome. Three years ago it was one of the better AM3 boards - ASUS M4A79T Deluxe:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4A79T_Deluxe/

I did have an X4 955 BE C2 stepping in it prior to buying the same Newegg deal on the X4 980 BE you did. Its stock voltage on that board wasn't unusually high - 1.35v. Don't know why this X4 980 is hitting upwards of 1.44v on auto. It does have the most recent BIOS showing support for the 980.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2012 1:24:13 PM

jeffredo said:
Thanks Rock, any opinion is welcome. Three years ago it was one of the better AM3 boards - ASUS M4A79T Deluxe:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4A79T_Deluxe/

I did have an X4 955 BE C2 stepping in it prior to buying the same Newegg deal on the X4 980 BE you did. Its stock voltage on that board wasn't unusually high - 1.35v. Don't know why this X4 980 is hitting upwards of 1.44v on auto. It does have the most recent BIOS showing support for the 980.

1.4v is stock for this CPU. i looked it up on google. Which would make it a pretty good overclocker, if it has to have 1.4 volts to run 3.7. I would imagine you would still have some read room possibly all the way to 4.0. But your motherboard being probably about 5 years old now....is probably holding you back. my 990FX chipset just came out about 6 months ago.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2012 1:34:59 PM

I hope you stick it out with AMD systems, perhaps Piledriver will give us a good chip again paving the way to Steamroller, I find Intel chips lack the subtlety and finese of AMD chips when it comes to tweaking and well there is just something special about Pre-FX AMD chips. I will not sell my 1100T for anything. I guess this is a implied request to AMD to give us something respectable again.

PS: the B3 bulldozers will be out soon, maybe you can pick up a well priced 8120 then ride out until Steam roller.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2012 1:42:14 PM

sarinaide said:
I hope you stick it out with AMD systems, perhaps Piledriver will give us a good chip again paving the way to Steamroller, I find Intel chips lack the subtlety and finese of AMD chips when it comes to tweaking and well there is just something special about Pre-FX AMD chips. I will not sell my 1100T for anything. I guess this is a implied request to AMD to give us something respectable again.

PS: the B3 bulldozers will be out soon, maybe you can pick up a well priced 8120 then ride out until Steam roller.

Oh no budd, i am sticking it out with my 980 until pile driver, if pile driver if even worse....Getting off AMD.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2012 2:00:51 PM

I am hoping PD is around SB level of performance which would be a very good step up, though we will have to wait and see.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2012 2:13:18 PM

Quote:
PD will never reach SB performance.
just let it beat Deneb and that's a start.

:p  +1 lol
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2012 2:52:42 PM

Nobody said anything about beating Sandybridge. Also radical overhauls require time, as unfortunate as BD is, it is the bench for AMD to work off. By backing what is working for them, namely the GPU and APU market the money will funnel back to R&D. I will expect refined architecture and improved per core performance, everything else will be minor tweaks.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2012 7:46:02 PM

Yea Pile Driver would need to beat Deneb and come even close to Sand bridge for me to buy it
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2012 7:52:40 PM

Best answer selected by Rockdpm.
m
l
March 25, 2012 9:16:34 PM

To bad BD FX is already in between solidly i5 2500K and i7 2600K performance levels.
m
l
March 25, 2012 9:37:34 PM

Quote:
depends on the application...

Like wise same goes for i5 and i7 LOL
m
l
!