Sign in with
Your question

MB ethernet going bad???

Last response: in Motherboards
January 31, 2013 12:50:28 AM

My Ethernet connection no longer shows in the sharing and network center or the device manager. I ran an Ipconfig /all in cmd and nothing showed up either only my wifi card. I first though it was a driver issue. I removed and re-installed the Ethernet controller driver and the computer still could not find it. Is there more than one driver? the light is still on but i have no activity light. I tried to use the ethernet dignostic tool but it does not show up there either. any help would be helpful

MB 990FXA-UD3
CPU FX-8320 @ 4228k

More about : ethernet bad

a b V Motherboard
January 31, 2013 6:13:14 AM

Go to device manager and if It is disabled Enable it.
Go to bios and check that the Ethernet is not disabled.
m
l
January 31, 2013 6:46:03 AM

I have had this issue before and it's frustrating to fix.

The lost windows driver should be in the windows/system32/drivers folder or somewhere like that. It is easier to reinstall the driver from scratch.

Totally uninstall the driver first and cancel window's from auto installing the driver again. Then install the new driver or driver you want to try.

If it's a realtek lan, the one that comes with the mb disk is outdated and has known issues.

Try using the one from the realtek site, or maybe your mb's site has a updated version.

If you have a stand alone pci lan card like a 3com or Dlink use that until you fix the driver issue.
The only trouble with a pci lan is they don't play nice with crossfire or sli because they tend to always end up in a spot that blocks your fan.

It should be a realtek PCIe GBE family controller. Realtek RTL8111E chip (10/100/1000 Mbit) It is the same lan as my gigabyte FM1 board that had the same problem.
m
l
Related resources
February 1, 2013 12:59:40 AM

Xttony said:
Go to device manager and if It is disabled Enable it.
Go to bios and check that the Ethernet is not disabled.

It does not show in the device manager.

BIOs say that it is enabled but LAN boot ROM is not.
m
l
February 1, 2013 1:02:19 AM

need4speeds said:
I have had this issue before and it's frustrating to fix.

The lost windows driver should be in the windows/system32/drivers folder or somewhere like that. It is easier to reinstall the driver from scratch.

Totally uninstall the driver first and cancel window's from auto installing the driver again. Then install the new driver or driver you want to try.

If it's a realtek lan, the one that comes with the mb disk is outdated and has known issues.

Try using the one from the realtek site, or maybe your mb's site has a updated version.

If you have a stand alone pci lan card like a 3com or Dlink use that until you fix the driver issue.
The only trouble with a pci lan is they don't play nice with crossfire or sli because they tend to always end up in a spot that blocks your fan.

It should be a realtek PCIe GBE family controller. Realtek RTL8111E chip (10/100/1000 Mbit) It is the same lan as my gigabyte FM1 board that had the same problem.

i removed the driver and installed it again. is there a way to manually install it or do i have to restart in between the unistall and install. is there a way to tell which driver it is in folder??
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 1, 2013 1:35:10 AM

Try another version of window. Just get a hdd where windows is already installed from a friend and see if the Ethernet is being detected there. Just make sure the windows 7 hdd that you borrow is not an OEM windows 7.
m
l
February 4, 2013 4:21:23 PM

It might be your overclock. Some boards crash various things when overclocked, i know the Llano apu's do this.

Get the system working right before setting up overclocking so you know what is working first.

You have to restart and on startup cancel window's auto reinstall on startup.
The lan should show up in device manager as "unknown hardware" or something similar.
Then install a newer driver (or maybe a older one if that failed too).

Maybe your board is just bad and you need to do a rma. Make sure it is turned on in the bios, most boards let you turn off integrated stuff like audio and lan.
m
l
!