CPU requirement seems to stop XP from detecting LG DVD drive

Vic113127

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
Hi all.

I purchased a LG GH24LS70 recently, and after reinstalling my OS, the system won't even recognize the drive is there. In order to install all the software and updated drivers/ firmware from the prepackaged DVD, one must do so from the LG drive after basic MS DVD driver installs at start up. My problem is that although the power cable works with the old CD (which won't read DVDs at all), and I have tried connecting two separate brand new SATA cables from the DVD to the HDD...XP does not detect the LG at all; in fact, the power light does not even flash either. I have uninstalled (with all power off and power cords removed) the DVD, reinstalled the CD drive (which still works for CDs), and reversed the process 5 or 6 times to no avail. Below are my system specs and the required specs for the LG drive. I thought my dual core processor should be equal to the Pentium IV 2.4 (or higher) requirement. Am I wrong, or is it possible I simply purchased a (rare) defective drive? Any suggestions would be helpful.

My system:
OS: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3 (32 bit)
Motherboard: ASRock N68C-S UCC
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64x2
Core Processor 4000+
2.11 GHz, 2 Gb of RAM
HDD: WD "500 GB" (465 functional GB, 411 GB free)
Video card: Nvidia GForce 9400 GT (1 GB Video RAM, Driver 296.10)
Direct X: 9.0
Interface: Serial ATA/IDE
BIOS: version 1.5

Minimum Requirements for DVD drive:
OS: Windows XP (SP2 or higher), Windows 7, Windows Vista (32 bit, 64 bit)
CPU: Pentium IV 2.4 GHz or higher, or compatible (Pentium IV 3.2 GHz+ recommended)
RAM: 256 MB or higher (512 recommended)
HDD: 20GB+ of available space
Video Memory: 64MB+ (128MB recommended)
DirectX: 9.0 or higher
Interface: Serial ATA

Is there any possible way my current dual core processor will work with the LG DVD drive?

Sorry this is so long; I wanted to be thorough.

------------------------------ Vic

Can you explain what you mean by "I purchased a LG GH24LS70 recently, and after reinstalling my OS, the system won't even recognize the drive is there." Did you use it to reinstall the OS?

The issue has nothing to do with your CPU. If your CD drive works, the DVD should also work if it isn't defective.

Vic113127

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012

I purchased the LG 24x r/rw dvd drive after using the standard CD drive to install the OS. After uninstalling the CD drive (which will not even read DVDs), I attempted to install the LG DVD drive. It comes with a set of software and updated drivers/ firmware on a DVD that can only be installed if the LG drive is detected by the system. When I looked it up online, I found that the standard DVD drive in the Windows (XP) install disc should detect the drive and install a base driver that allows you to install from the DVD. The system does not register the drive at all. As I stated before, the power light does not even come on; and I used the same power wires as I did with the CD drive. Every subsequent exchange has shown that the CD drive gets power but the DVD drive does not.

If this information does not answer your question, let me know. I will attempt to restate it in a way that does.

Thanks for your response!