Sign in with
Your question

Advice request: What should I wait?

Last response: in Systems
December 19, 2011 4:08:37 PM

So , I thinked to buy all my parts for the new computer build till middle spring .
I know that Ivy bridge is coming out , PCIe 3.0 cards are coming too , new things are coming .
So , what should I buy now ?????
From what parts to start?
Thanks a Lot in advance
My gaming builg budget is around 1150$.(that inclute monitor bun not Operating System)

More about : advice request wait

December 19, 2011 4:33:17 PM

Noone to help, me?
December 19, 2011 4:56:49 PM

Your request is a bit vague.

But, assuming you need a full system, buy these now:

Case
PSU
Optical Drive
Monitor
Keyboard
Mouse

Wait for:

CPU
Cooler
Mobo
RAM
GPU
Related resources
December 19, 2011 5:04:27 PM

interloper96 said:
So , I thinked to buy all my parts for the new computer build till middle spring .
I know that Ivy bridge is coming out , PCIe 3.0 cards are coming too , new things are coming .
So , what should I buy now ?????
From what parts to start?
Thanks a Lot in advance
My gaming builg budget is around 1150$.(that inclute monitor bun not Operating System)

I agree that this is too vague but what is the primary use for this system going to be? The thing is if you wait for Ivy Bridge (which I've heard isn't supposed to be released until Q3 next year) you'll keep waiting for the best parts to come around, you're better off picking from what's available now and then upgrading as you see fit.

PCI-e isn't going to change much. The graphics card vendors know this and they won't see a lot of happy customers if they release new products that are only available to people with certain boards. PCI-e x 2.1 is the standard for now, and most cards - even the newest ones like the 7970 will be compliant with this form factor. You'll be safe here for quite some time, and you won't see a whole lot of improvement from what's available now.

It's like using an SB-E system - it's the latest and greatest for sure, but the latest and greatest anything will be sure to cost you deeply.
December 19, 2011 5:17:53 PM

Whether new card and CPUs are coming out or not, I don't think it is a good idea to buy parts over several months.

If a part happens to be defective, you may be left out of the return policy.
December 19, 2011 5:23:06 PM

Is cash availabilty an issue? Guess so from the incremental build.

Maybe go for i2500k and mobo now as well, I didn't realise Ivy Bridge was so far off.
Maybe worth hanging back on GPU so when new items arrive next year the current models drop in price - hopefully give you better bang/buck.

But difficult to be precise without knowing the use as g-unit says.
December 19, 2011 5:37:09 PM

g-unit1111 said:
I agree that this is too vague but what is the primary use for this system going to be? The thing is if you wait for Ivy Bridge (which I've heard isn't supposed to be released until Q3 next year) you'll keep waiting for the best parts to come around, you're better off picking from what's available now and then upgrading as you see fit.

PCI-e isn't going to change much. The graphics card vendors know this and they won't see a lot of happy customers if they release new products that are only available to people with certain boards. PCI-e x 2.1 is the standard for now, and most cards - even the newest ones like the 7970 will be compliant with this form factor. You'll be safe here for quite some time, and you won't see a whole lot of improvement from what's available now.

It's like using an SB-E system - it's the latest and greatest for sure, but the latest and greatest anything will be sure to cost you deeply.

Will cost Ivy Brigde as Sandy Bridge?
December 19, 2011 5:54:23 PM

Quote:
Maybe go for i2500k and mobo now as well, I didn't realise Ivy Bridge was so far off.
Maybe worth hanging back on GPU so when new items arrive next year the current models drop in price - hopefully give you better bang/buck.

The thing is Intel's already admitted that Ivy Bridge is going to continue the 1155 socket design and that Z68 and P67 motherboards will make use of the CPUs with a BIOS flash (similar to what AMD did with the FX series).

Quote:
Is cash availabilty an issue? Guess so from the incremental build.

Yeah but the thing is no one's going to know yet what Ivy Bridge is going to cost - is it going to be a consumer line that will replace SB? Will it be a performance enthusiast line like X58 or X79? Something else entirely? Everyone knew about SB-E, which are really glorified Xeons, but the performance difference really wasn't that great over the 2500K, 2600K and you basically pay a lot more for not much of a justification.

Quote:
But difficult to be precise without knowing the use as g-unit says.

It's also difficult to price using hardware that doesn't exist yet. :lol: 

Quote:
Whether new card and CPUs are coming out or not, I don't think it is a good idea to buy parts over several months.

I totally agree - that's the worst possible way to buy a new system.
!