Networking Problem? (Forwarding?)

know-not94

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
Hello, let me first mention that i'm not too good at networking, i'm fairly good with computers but networking is not my forte.

The problem i have started with me needing a better wireless connection my my bedroom and the computer is almost as far away in the house as it could be. The router i have is only the free Sagem ADSL router that came when i subscribed to sky broadband and is not all that good range wise combined with the walls of my house being made of some strange signal dampening material ¬¬ . anyway i though it would be best to get a newer router with better range... but that's not in my budget.

Finally i came to using a second router as a midpoint...and that's where i hit a dead end. a relative gave me an unused BT Home hub (v1.5 white one) and i have a reasonable ethernet cable to place it in a position to better the signal in my bedroom. i hooked it up and tried it on my PS3 and i got through to PSN fine but i tried connecting via my iPod touch and it brought me to the homehub settings page, after setting an admin password i tried to connect again later via my PS3 and no dice. Now that's kinda where my story ends, i have no idea how i am supposed to network the router to forward the internet connection from the Sagem Router. Any other info you require to help me, just ask but i'm not really sure what would be required. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ina advance

you need to log into the BT and disable the DHCP and set its LAN IP to match the IP scheme of your main router ending in 253. If main is 192.168.1.1, set BT to 192.168.1.253

right now you have two active DHCPs. The first time your PS3 picked up and IP from your main router; however, the second time the BT was faster to provide the IP. That is why you could not connect anymore.

know-not94

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
Sorry but like I say I'm not very good with networking, my sky router automatically sets it's IP and DNS and I'm not sure, should I set the IP myself or the DNS. Again I have very little knowledge on networking so I don't really know which fields I should be tampering with. When I try to connect to the Internet via the BT hub it still says it is not connected. I need to know what values I should set on both the sky router and the BT router.

leave the Sky alone, it is the BT you need to change.

So go Start then Run in XP - (Windows key plus R in Vista and Windows 7), then type in the following, including all the spaces:- cmd /k ipconfig /all -- then press Enter and from the black form that shows up, take a note of the numeric code beside the word "gateway" -- usually something like 192.168.1.1. Type exit to close the black form.

you need to log into the BT and disable the DHCP and set its LAN (Local Area Network) IP to match the IP scheme of your main router ending in 253. If Gateway is 192.168.1.1, set BT to 192.168.1.253

Yes it should. The first the three numbers need to be the same and the last one needs to be different.

some Gateways use 192.168.0.1 then use 192.168.0.253 for the BT

some Gateways use 192.168.0.254 then use 192.168.0.253 for the BT

know-not94

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
Sorry but yet another snag, when trying to change the IP address the page freezes and I can no longer access the bt home hub by WiFi or Ethernet

know-not94

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
Normally the bt router is accessed by "api.home" , going through that to advanced settings then IP addresses there are 3 addresses, I tried to set the address currently set to 192.168.0.## (it was different a couple times) to what you suggested and when I hit apply the page kept "loading" and when I closed the page again I tried to navigate to the bt homehub settings again and it wouldn't load whatsoever... Where the he'll did I go wrong there? XD

mushfiq

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
i need help. trying to forward a port in linksys router. but when I check it says
Error: I could not see your service on 24.191.8.11 on port (130)
Reason: Connection timed out

Open a new thread it does not cool to steel someones thread just because you are using the same hardware.

It will not help anybody, especially not you since 99.9% of the people will ignore you.

TRENDING THREADS