Socket Clamp damaging CPU.

syketh

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Hello there,

I recently built my new computer and everything is going well so far, however, I have come across a few issues with it or whilst building it.
I post here the other day about a weird electrical/static-like noise that I could hear from my PC, close to the motherboard (CPU or RAM direction), but it's a lot quieter since then, and i'm guessing it's just normal. Also seeing that my case is a Zalman Z9+, perhaps allowing more noise out due to the large vent grills.

One thing that has been bothering me from the start is that when installing my CPU-Intel i5 2500k, on my Gigabyte Z68a-B3-D3 board, the socket clamp was very resistant, even though the CPU was aligned and positioned perfectly. The grinding sound when closing the clamp was rather disturbing, so I took it out to check what was going wrong and noticed that the clamp itself had made two little notches on both sides of the CPU's face (Not the back where the pins are). I gave it another shot and it happened again, but I stuck it out.
The computer is running fine to be honest, and I haven't came into anything really odd yet, but my main concern is that mabye this will cause latter damage to my CPU or PC overall. I've already contacted Scan and they are more than willing for me to RMA it, as i'm also considering buying a new motherboard to avoid this happening again. I'm thinking about going for this board below:

http://www.ebuyer.com/291652-asus-p8z68-v-gen3-socket-1155-dvi-vga-hdmi-8-channel-audio-atx-motherboard-p8z68-v-gen3

Would anyone have any advice or information about whether or not this is normal, if it may cause me problems at some point or would it be worth me RMA'ing the CPU and buying a new motherboard?
-I believe it seems to be these boards in general, or Z68 Gigabyte boards, as I found a few others that mentioned the same problem as myself.

Thanks!

The "grinding" noise you hear is the CPU being pushed onto the pins.

As for the damage on the CPUs IHS, its probably not a big deal. I haven't noticed it on a lot of boards, a few do it but its not every board. I can say that most Asus mobos don't do it as thats what we mainly use at my work.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
As you can tell from my signature, I too have a i5-2500K. I have a Gigabyte board and have not noticed the CPU installation issues you mention. My i5 dropped in and the pressure plate closed easily over it (with a tiny bit of force, of course). Are you sure the pressure plate is sliding under the round latch at the end of the socket?

syketh

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010

Yes, I made sure that the clamp was positioned properly judging by the manual, around the round latch. I think i'll RMA the CPU and purchase the Asus board, used them in the past and trust the brand more than Gigabyte.

This is an example, and the exact noise I hear when place my i5 into the board. You can see just how resistant the clamp is as this persons hand is shaking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyLGUzryNQE

whatsthatnoise

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
As you can see in the video, the cover that flaps onto the CPU is pushed under a screw. If it really feels way to tight, you could unscrew it, just a little bit. That would result in less pressure/grinding. Note, that it is still supposed to be tight. ;)

syketh

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010

I honestly had no idea you could do that. :eek:
I might give it a shot now and see if it helps at all, would save me £130! Thanks for the tip! :)

Anonymous_26

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
You're worrying for nothing. That is normal it's the CPU pushing down down on the LGA pins. If the CPU is working then it's fine, most of the time they either work or they don't yours seems to be working fine so I wouldn't worry about it.

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
For as long as your PC is running fine now, nothing to worry about it. That sound you heard the first time is normal and it means that you bought a new MB and a CPU.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I didn't notice anything unusual in the video. Looked good to me. The force you appeared to use, didn't look too intense. The older Intel sockets used a ZIF socket. Zero Insertion Force. These newer sockets use a "pressure" plate to insure good electrical contact.

sleepy101

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
It's normal, I went thru 3 Asus Maximus V Extreme MOBOS, two Intel dz77re-75k MOBOS and two i7 3770k all of them made a grinding noise.

I7 3770K OC @ 4.6 GHz/ASUS MAXIMUS V EXTREME/ 32 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 2400 MHz OC @ 2600 MHz /ENERMAX PLATIMAX 1350 watts PSU/ 1 120GB SAMSUNG 840 HDD by 1 250GB SAMSUNG 840 HDD by 1 2TB WESTERN DIGITAL HARD-DRIVE/4 EVGA GTX 680 CLASSIFIED GRAPHICS CARDS/ 1 LG-BLU-RAY BURNER BY 1 LG BLU-RAY DRIVER/DVD BURNER BY 3 LG DVD BURNER DRIVES BY 1 MULTI CARD SLOT BAY/ COOLER MASTER HAFx CASE

The two pressure points created by the Intel CPU socket latch are normal. Nothing to worry about