Sign in with
Your question

Is my graphics card overheating

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2011 11:18:55 AM

Hello,
I have a Asus G73SW with a i7 processor, 8GB ram and a Nvidia GTX 460M video card. Yesteday my temp shot up to 79 Degrees C and my graphics messed up then bluescreened before shutting down. I have cleaned it with comressed air and it also sits on a coolmaster that has 2 fans on it to keep my laptop extra cool. Now from what i understand i didn't think 79 was to high but now my games are suggesting i play in the lowest graphics possible and my game idle is now 65C where it use to be 49C anyone else had the same problem or any ideas whats going on? and would a reinstall help maybe? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou
a c 104 U Graphics card
October 22, 2011 3:10:16 PM

You could try to put some new thermal paste ( i believe it's called ) between the processor and the heat sink. 79 shouldn't be to high tho.
a c 225 U Graphics card
October 22, 2011 3:29:19 PM

Is it under warranty ? Removing the CPU, even opening up a laptop voids the warranty. I'd call tech support.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2011 3:37:34 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
Is it under warranty ? Removing the CPU, even opening up a laptop voids the warranty. I'd call tech support.

Yeah it's still under warranty it's only 5 months old, but have to send it back to America for them to look at it and if it's something i could have done my self i have to pay for postage so trying to wittle down possibilities first.
a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2011 3:37:53 PM

Are you sure the BSOD is caused by gpu temperature?

79 C under load for laptop is fine.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2011 3:39:44 PM

GreenDutchAlien said:
You could try to put some new thermal paste ( i believe it's called ) between the processor and the heat sink. 79 shouldn't be to high tho.

Yeah i asked my mate about the temp as she has the same laptop and she said it wasn't to high, said its not really high till the 90's .. never thought about temps when i had pc's lol
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2011 3:41:40 PM

Pyree said:
Are you sure the BSOD is caused by gpu temperature?

79 C under load for laptop is fine.

No not positive, i have a temp window up all the time and it shot up by 20 degrees in seconds before the graphics crashed so it's all guess work at the moment
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2011 3:43:19 PM

That was suppose to say "My GPU temp shot up"
a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2011 4:02:33 PM

Get your mini dump.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2011 4:47:46 PM

How? i got just downloaded a program for it but its installed after the BSOD so isnt showing it
a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2011 4:49:41 PM

huh? Locate your mini dump in

C:\Windows\Minidump
a c 104 U Graphics card
October 22, 2011 4:52:24 PM

Ok, noob question ; what's a mini dump ? ( proud to be a noob ! )
a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2011 4:59:42 PM

A file that was generated at the time of BSOD that contains information at the time of an OS crash so that it can be used to determine the cause of the crash.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2011 5:05:35 PM

Oh this is good, to add to confusion there is nothing in that folder
a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2011 5:10:04 PM

Try enable show of system protected files and show hidden files.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2011 5:17:59 PM

Done still nothing, i'm confused. Shouldn't a BSOD create a log?
a c 104 U Graphics card
October 22, 2011 5:18:44 PM

Pyree said:
A file that was generated at the time of BSOD that contains information at the time of an OS crash so that it can be used to determine the cause of the crash.

Aha, thanks for the info. In the Dutch OS i believe it's called "een mini stronthoop", probably thats why i didn't recognize it.
a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2011 5:27:35 PM

In Advanced System Settings, click Settings under Startup and recovery and make sure that Write debugging information is Kernal memory dump and Dump file location is %SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2011 5:41:20 PM

Yes it is set as you said
a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2011 5:44:25 PM

just search for .dmp

see if it gives any result
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2011 5:53:37 PM

Only results are for adobe photoshop
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2011 10:22:18 AM

Sorry i vanished yesterday i had guests arrive. Ok so i checked my settings against that webpage and its all good so i went on a like hunt and found a folder called "Live Kernal Dump" and there is a dmp file in there but it says i dont have a program to open it, i clicked "Use web service to find correct program" but that didn't find a program either, any ideas?
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2011 11:20:11 AM

try bluescreenview
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2011 11:50:47 AM

I've tried that but its not opening it. Bluescreen opens empty
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2011 4:10:45 PM

Now I am also stuck. Sorry.

May be move this to window 7 to find out what is causing the bsod first.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2011 4:31:47 PM

it's ok me to, ty for all your help :) 
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2011 4:53:58 PM

I'm not much of a laptop guy but 79c would seem a bit high for laptop. Considering the lack of thermal solutions and that heat easily transfers to all the other components affecting them as well. Also got to note while cooling pads may seem good in theory sometimes in real world scenarios they aren't a good idea. You have to consider those fans are forcing air through the chassis which, negatively, forces more dust through as well... All this dust gets trapped in the fins of heatsinks thus affecting the cooling solution more so.

I'm not saying cooling pads are bad, just limit the airflow... Someone mentioned that not to take the machine apart if it's under warrantee and I'd have to agree. Call the manufacturer...
October 23, 2011 6:49:54 PM

I don't think I could rightly answer your question but I do know that due to people R.M.A ing there cards(sending back to company after purchase) That alot of companies have been building their heatsinks for their graphics cards with alot of play between the gpu and the heatsink there by allowing the enduser to tighten the heatsink all they want and still not crunch the gpu. So I would take the heatsink off and do further inspection on the distance between the heatsink and gpu.
This can be done by cleaning off the thermal paste on top of the gpu applying new thermal paste to the gpu and placing the heatsink back on top of the gpu tighten down. Then remove the heatsink from the graphic card again and see if the thermal paste has squished itself against the entire gpu or if it is just the way that you put it on. No this just sqeezing out thermal paste onto the gpu is not that way it is done in practice, but what you want to do is see if the heatsink is approaching the gpu close enough to allow heat transfer via thermal paste.
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2011 6:54:53 PM

Don't do it if you still on warranty.

I think the stance of ASUS on laptop is you can open it up, you can change HDD and RAM because they are user serviceable component. But the GPU and CPU is off limit and has stickers on them.

At least that is what I see in mine.

And I did open it up to check for hardware (RAM seated properly and HDD connected) before returning it back for a repair. They still let me have the warranty since I didn't break any of the warranty void if removed sticker.

And I don't think there is a problem of over heating. 79 C on a laptop under load is normal and towards the cool side of normal.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 12:47:13 PM

Yeah i think i will send it back but want to try read these DMP files first to see if it tells me what it is. I got the wonderful BSOD again today and have been spending hours trying to read the, bluescreen viewer isnt opening them nor is visual studio, i have downloaded the debugging drivers and still nothing. Any ideas on a simple program to open them with?
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 12:52:40 PM

One last hope. Did you check that you have the ownership to the file?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 12:57:30 PM

How can i tell if i do?
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 1:04:04 PM

Right click>Properties>Security>Advanced>Owner
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 1:06:18 PM

It says the owner is my screen name so guess thats a yes i have ownership.
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 1:08:11 PM

Yeah. Ok, now I am out of idea.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 1:14:17 PM

Thank you for trying, i'll keep on googling
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 7:00:07 PM

I'm in!!!! I erm (looks sheepish) was using blueviewer wrong, now all i need to do is figure out what these drivers are lol it's all in jargen lol
a c 104 U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 7:20:01 PM

Yeah ! :) 
Maybe you can write them down here, someone smarter than me can probably explain whats what.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 7:55:26 PM

2 are highlighted in red, one is CmBatt.sys and the other is dxgkrnl.sys no clue lol
a c 104 U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 8:00:02 PM

Mmmm, the dx9krnl has something to do with the graphics i believe, probably the dx settings. like i said don't know much about that. Did you install dx11 ?
SOMEONE SMARTER PLEASE ?
a c 104 U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 8:01:05 PM

Pyree, we need the little white rabbit over here !
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 8:04:05 PM

Whats dx11? lol
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 8:16:31 PM

Quote:
Whats dx11? lol

open start and type "dxdiag" enter... once loaded browse through the options for problem messages.

edit: when is the last time you updated your video drivers?

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 8:35:28 PM

i tried to update through device manager 2 days ago said there was no new ones available then went to nvdia and put in my graphics card details and it said i was upto date
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 8:37:49 PM

russ would it say error somewhere if there was a problem?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 8:43:22 PM

the dxdiag says no problems found
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 8:50:22 PM

Quote:
russ would it say error somewhere if there was a problem?

CmBatt.sys is:
Control Method Battery Driver or Microsoft ACPI Control Method Battery Driver

Not necessarily, did you go through each page looking at the notes on the bottom?

As far as the video drivers? Who cares what windows says, never use drivers windows automatically installs for you as they're always dated. Uninstall the video drivers and re-install using the link I provided.

Have you checked your hard disk as well?

Open start, computer, right click C:, properties, tools, check now and reboot.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 8:56:09 PM

hahaha i'm having a thick day, i was in a notecard instead of the progam. It says its all good. As for check now will reboot soon as these 2 updates finish installing for framework as apparently they require a restart to.
!